Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Getting bawled out by an otter...

I was minding my own business, fishing my way down a long pool this evening, when I heard this squeaking from upriver. I looked up and saw a small disturbance on the water. Watching as it came nearer, it turned out to be an otter cub. It obviously took offence to my presence but was quite fearless, coming within arm's reach of me and circling below me and back upstream on the near bank side, telling me in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome.

It then angled into and up the near bank, keeping up the verbal, responding in kind when I whistled at it. It proceeded downstream, re-entering the water to hand out another dose of abuse to my fishing partner, before clearing off, still complaining.

Anyone else normally get this close to what's basically a wild animal? It's a pity I didn't think to whip out the camera earlier - it was literally touching distance away. Shy and retiring - not....

He's making sure you've got your permits
    Glyn
    Hey there's an idea put a webcam on a trained otters head to sniff out poachers.
    Last edited by Glyn; 16-04-2011 at 10:01 AM.

You'l remember that lucky man.

Normally come across them early morning or late evening......I suspect they

really put the Sea Trout off, usually wind up and head home after a visit from

them.
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Monkey View Post
    Normally come across them early morning or late evening......I suspect they

really put the Sea Trout off, usually wind up and head home after a visit from

them.
    Hmm my best 1hrs sea trout fishing came 10 minutes (well the length of time it took me to somke a cigarrette!) after an otter had left a pool on my home river the Tywi.
    Tight Lines
    Aled

I have seen quite a few otters in my time usually seatrouting or early morning salmon fishing and they are always a pleasure to see apart from ruining the fishing.
    Otter cubs can be quite fearless I remember a mother and 2 cubs who used to show up on our sea trout pool for a few weeks during a season in the 80's, the cubs were so bold they tried to pinch the sandwiches from our bags while we we were fishing in the big wide pool.

This is what fishing is all about and why I prefer wild fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by sandman View Post
    I was minding my own business, fishing my way down a long pool this evening, when I heard this squeaking from upriver. I looked up and saw a small disturbance on the water. Watching as it came nearer, it turned out to be an otter cub. It obviously took offence to my presence but was quite fearless, coming within arm's reach of me and circling below me and back upstream on the near bank side, telling me in no uncertain terms that I wasn't welcome.

It then angled into and up the near bank, keeping up the verbal, responding in kind when I whistled at it. It proceeded downstream, re-entering the water to hand out another dose of abuse to my fishing partner, before clearing off, still complaining.

Anyone else normally get this close to what's basically a wild animal? It's a pity I didn't think to whip out the camera earlier - it was literally touching distance away. Shy and retiring - not....

You were lucky. take a look at this interesting story on the front page of today's Irish Independent: http://www.independent.ie/national-n...5.html?start=5
    And she lets the river answer
    That you've always been her lover