Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Springers from the Tay.

These are a couple of fish from Feb 2009, caught at Cargill, back in the days when keeping a second fish was allowed - before the c&r brigade jump down my neck!! Must say it was the first springer I'd been able to keep in about 10 yrs and went straight to the smoker!

Pics 1 + 2 fish number 1, about 13lb and returned......was delighted. 20 mins later into number 2 (fish in boat), 16lb from the same lie.....red letter day for me!

..........so many flies, so little time!

Beautiful brace of fish Westie! Were you fly fishing?

I love Cargill's beat 1 but I reckon beat 2 is far better suited to other methods.

There is something magical about Tay February fish.
    Last edited by crispin; 30-11-2010 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    These are a couple of fish from Feb 2009, caught at Cargill, back in the days when keeping a second fish was allowed - before the c&r brigade jump down my neck!! Must say it was the first springer I'd been able to keep in about 10 yrs and went straight to the smoker!

Pics 1 + 2 fish number 1, about 13lb and returned......was delighted. 20 mins later into number 2 (fish in boat), 16lb from the same lie.....red letter day for me!

Belters!!!!!!!!!! Lok at the second fish. Totally solid and such a typically Tay fish. Well done!
    Last edited by gotoneon; 01-12-2010 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crispin View Post
    Beautiful brace of fish Westie! Were you fly fishing?

I love Cargill's beat 1 but I reckon beat 2 is far better suited to other methods.

There is something magical about Tay February fish.
    Ahemm....must admit that I'd ditched the fly rod about an hour before and picked up the spinning rod Both fish came from below the Cobble Croy basically in the last noticble flow from it, a wee crease between the dying flow off the Croy and the slack water. Looked right for a springer (or 2 in this case!!) Both fell to an 18 gr pearlescant white Toby allowed to flutter slowly round round in the current. Water was about 3' and fairly clear.

Anyway, that's my dirty secret out in public now Couldn't have covered these two with the fly anyway, was fishing from the bank and they were both miles out!

Crackers Westie, thanks for posting.
    Tay springers are just such brutes - hard to beat the power in those beasts.
    "... the grand excuse for loitering in peaceful places."

As a postscript, the first fish had obviously been in a scrap with something and had a nasty bash on the nose and a chunk of it's gill plate missing (you can see this in the pics!) In hindsight, would rather this had been the 'keeper'! Just the way the cookie crumbles I suppose. It fought like a demon and took off like a bat out of hell......at one point was seriously eyeing up the fence to the beat below as I was hard up against it and thought I might end up down there with it

The larger of the fish was more typical springer, strong, dogged and determined!