Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  46

Default A day of "First's" today

First time fishing the River Annan (Hoddom Castle )!

First time Euro nymphing!

First grayling, followed by a few more!

Looking downstream from Hoddom bridge, cold start...

imag5319-jpg

Duke's pool

imag5332-jpg

First grayling...

83190275_2834072280047105_6719257819540881408_n-jpg

Released..

83230969_2834072236713776_6727074204753068032_n-jpg

Later on day, lady on one one of my wool creations (happily report they were all caught on my own flies)

imag5328-jpg

Last cast..

82527721_1017415375286664_1408155347830439936_n-jpg

Last fish to the net

82981735_2834481933339473_7752408904058798080_n-jpg

Fantastic day out on a lovely beat, Just about thawed out even though I was wearing more fleece and thermals that GoOutdoors stock...

All but one photo courtesy of Michael Fearns who organises the workshop days

Look forward to returning

Cheers

Cb

Beautiful, just beautiful!

Ard

Nice one clydebuilt glad you got into some fish 🎣 it's a nice beat to fish is hoddom I was there a few weeks back and had a few Michael's a good lad and knows the beat well

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Beautiful, just beautiful!

Ard

Thanks Ard, the sunset was a fitting end to a great day out

Quote Originally Posted by Lamson v10 View Post
    Nice one clydebuilt glad you got into some fish 🎣 it's a nice beat to fish is hoddom I was there a few weeks back and had a few Michael's a good lad and knows the beat well

Thanks Lamson
    Michael did his best to get us all fish and another angler got his first grayling too which was fantastic to see.
    I'll definitely be back there, be it grayling or salmon/seatrout, Just a shame it's not closer!

Cheers

Great looking grayling. Congratulations.

Enjoyed that CB...great pics and great fishing. Dukes looks a good height. You're on sand where you're fishing but just watch out for the ledges about 20 yards downstream. Keep them coming 🎣
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Holroyd View Post
    Great looking grayling. Congratulations.
    Thanks Jack

Quote Originally Posted by salmonaddict View Post
    Enjoyed that CB...great pics and great fishing. Dukes looks a good height. You're on sand where you're fishing but just watch out for the ledges about 20 yards downstream. Keep them coming 🎣
    Thanks SA, I waded right down the Dukes and onto the flatter water, found the bedrock we were warned about and managed to get the bugs into the shoulder of the drop off.
    Glad I had wading stick...
    The higher water pushed the fish to the side on some runs which helped by not having to wade much👍
    Cheers
    Cb

Aye all feels fine at the top of the pool but a short way doon, just above the single tree on the bank it's all ledges. From about 1'8" and above you have to pull tight to the tree but after that it's all fairly even to the bottom of the pool. A wee bit lumpy but the danger has passed.

I dont do any troot fishing these days but if you like you bugging you should run the bugs through during the season or have a bash with the dries. I've had some really fine browns on salmon flies. Had a big cock brownie (5lb'ish) in Oct last season from the Castle Stream. Though it was a Grilse at 1st but died quickly in the fight...ugliest sucker I'd ever seen 😁
    "If want a fish, I'll take a fish so get over it"

Quote Originally Posted by Clydebuilt View Post
    Thanks Ard, the sunset was a fitting end to a great day out

Thanks Lamson
    Michael did his best to get us all fish and another angler got his first grayling too which was fantastic to see.
    I'll definitely be back there, be it grayling or salmon/seatrout, Just a shame it's not closer!

Cheers
    It's probably around 50 minutes drive for myself or two minutes from the caravan when the site is open 😉 if you fancy a day on the annan before the end season drop me a pm 👍🏻