Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  101
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Monday Morning Blues On The Earn

After I left the river on Saturday, the river rose from 1m to over 2.5m with snow melt so that was going to give me the Monday morning blues as I expected the river to be unfishable.
    A chance look at the levels at lunch time showed that it was dropping quicker than expected and was around 1.2m which is just on the absolute top height for a fly. Definitely worth a shot though and I tackled up at 2.00p.m. A look at the top pool suggested I leave it till last in the hope it dropped a bit more and take a bit of anger out of it. So, down to the bottom pool, a 15ft sink 6 tip, heavier than the sink 3 I used on Saturday and this fly was tied on.

earn39320-jpg

Fished through the pool with no response but by this time I felt the water was easing down a bit and I had a good idea of where to winkle a fish out of the Top Pool, So, up I went and just exactly where I expected, below the heavy push at the extreme tail of the pool, this fellow decided to take hold.

earn03920-jpg

Now, this was a tricky place to hook him in such heavy water, just on the run out of the pool and at the top of fast, heavy broken water into which I would never have been able to follow the fish anyway. This is when you need backbone in a rod and believe me, it exists in spadeloads in every Gaelforce rod I have and the 14ft Equalizer 9/10 is no different.
    Never did I feel out of control in this heavy turbulent pool and I eased him firmly up giving him no opportunity to try anything different. And here is the result, 15lbs of hefty shouldered springer, fantastic specimen of proper Earn salmon. I'm now treble chuffed and the Monday morning blues have been completely washed away.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Another minter Tom, well done!👌🎣

Christ Tom there's no stopping you!

Brilliant Tom, another beauty indeed.
    Cheers Diarmid.

What a run you're on there. Drop everything and fish every day until it stops!

Great fish Tom! Just shows, there are some fish in them there rivers!

Another beezer Tam,
    Well done!

Hoolet
    Last edited by Hoolet; 09-03-2020 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    What a run you're on there. Drop everything and fish every day until it stops!
    I've got 3 days this week coming up on the North Esk where I hope to assist in boosting their catches as well.
    Better to be lucky than good.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Brilliant sir! Good angling

Now your just showing off Tam!

Seriously though, what a cracker of a fish. Well done again
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast