Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  1,230
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
    Attachment 40295
    My first salmon on a dry fly
    Can't see the attachment sadly!

A good fisherman always has a good excuse at the ready and this season I've got one backed up by history...….

The worst drought ever known to record keeping people occurred in south central and parts of western Alaska this year. That in and of itself nullified the king and silver salmon fishing throughout my region on the whole.

September found me camped near a tidewater hoping to meet some tide riders as they made their way up a river. Fate has a funny way at times or so it seams because on my second night camped there came one monster of a storm. High winds accompanied by 3 1/2 inches of rain in just under 12 hours.

My tent held due to very diligent and experienced set up and I stayed dry but the river was no longer at a low water state, no not at all. Bank full and bringing everything in store down with the flow but water long overdue had come.

It's a relatively small watershed by Alaskan standards and prior experiences with the high and dirty told me that she would drop soon so long as the rain subsided. The third day saw still dirty water but to the knowing eye dropping it was and so I sallied forth and put my Dee Monkey (thanks Patrick) to the river in a serious manner. By early evening things were coming quite clean and visibility was actually good so I focused on spots where I knew of fish to seek refuge as they travel and then...…

Subtle on the take but a real racer that one according to the handle of my Fishpond / Nomad boat net was just short of a yard of freshness complete with a bunch of sea lice.

Steelhead trout and I hadn't noticed how quickly those little lice could move about a fish but they can get along. I've done well catching these for such an abbreviated season as provided to me and so long as the freeze holds off another 4 days I'll get another crack at them yet.

I fished Wednesday & Thursday of this past week and got 2 more as well as a good bunch of char with some fairly long ones. I have been alone on all my fall fishing so the pictures are rudimentary. I've had three of those fish go blazing away while I fumbled to push a shutter button for a Boutique shot so I'm going with tails with the head still in the net.

Rules for steelhead are C&R only and do not remove a fish from the water. Hoping for a few more but that one may be the best of the lot. Got a few silvers but no kings this year and some dandy rainbow trout.

That's me

Time rich and catch poor this year. From slim slim pickings of 2 Fish . Having caught only 2, I can remember them both pretty well....

On the toss of a coin here’s another picture of my first Yorkshire Salmon courtesy of MCX guide services.

ef78b740-6f94-4edc-89c5-dc12a7b8f49f-jpeg
    Last edited by Grassy_Knollington; 03-11-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Default One that Stuck in the Mind!

Well this girl sticks in my memory.One or two of you may well notice the bit of water she came from!.Any way, on the 17ft LPXe, 3D 1/3/5 and a tip and a 1 1/2" Black n Orange tube.I remember it all from the take(a good old double thump right out in the fast powerful current) and the way she headed off back towards Dundee wiv me flee and refused to give it back.All 50yds of amnesia and a good 20yds + of Dacron backing just melted off the reel as I cheerfully cranked up the brake, swore loudly and burnt me fingers on the rim of the reel!.
    70 odd yds of line out in the blink of an eye accompanied by the smell of burning flesh!, but it took a lot longer to winch it all back an inch at a time.
    Any way, she'll keep me awake on night shift all through the winter re-living the fight. Couldn't have asked for any more.171eac5b-fd0e-40f4-8edf-d8d49fa46336-jpeg

Pedro.

PS, blowed if I know why I'm on me side like that, wonder why all the water hasn't run away like that!
    Last edited by Rennie; 03-11-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Any way, she'll keep me awake on night shift all through the winter re-living the fight. Couldn't have asked for any more.
    tayfish-jpg

Pedro.

PS, blowed if I know why I'm on me side like that, wonder why all the water hasn't run away like that!
    Nice fish though. Supercharged as well. Licer?
    Respect My Authorita!!

No, sadly she wasn't Kiestream, could see the marks where they'd been though!.But I can't and certainly won't complain in any way at all.It's fish like these just every once in a while that keep me going at it like I do, well like we all do really.
    Warm rosy glow stuff!
    Cheers,Pedro.

Wasn't a salmon, though a 15lb hen I had on Helmsdale that had recovered from the awful virus that had blighted that river during the early months of the season gladdened my heart. But this was my highlight, a fresh as a daisy 8lb sea trout on a little conehead on beat 4 of the A'an at Ballindalloch.

avon5-jpg
    Last edited by Cookie-boy; 03-11-2019 at 04:38 PM.

My last fish of the season and my only Welsh male of the year, a strong fish that ran and jumped energetically but returned strongly and quickly. Hope he's approaching his spawning duties with the same vigour. Roll on next season
    Attached Images Attached Images img_6961-jpg 

guest2938 Guest

Sturdy brute, and great colouring.

DCH

They are all memorable but I let myself to pick three.

100lb tarpon on the fly in Florida Keys. Took me for an unforgettable ride. Immediately after the hook up she jumped over my fishing buddy's line and then back underneath the surface just as she knew what she was doing. By the time we got our lines untangled/cut off she went on a long run and slalomed between bridge pillars. I had to leave the boat and got picked up on the other side to be able to continue the chase. All in pitch darkness. When I eventually managed to bring the fish alongside we released her without taking the photo. I've attached my mate's fish photo instead.

bevjktsi7qchhpckferknmewwuwqixmnvz6qa615uqq4ejtr3sjc4uzn4pgpjl6xzncvainrzfoop9snm12igjobitcnzs5r-jpg

Another memorable fish of this season as below. Not the largest of the trip but still decent at 84cm and icing on a cake. The take was so violent that nearly pulled the rod out of my hand. The fish took me well into backing on a first run and jumped several times. Absolutely epic.

eovcccw7eijmrx16mje4cysgqn8-1zxrinj4o3uhjunq-jjcymwrwo2wkzokyc6tm_tbysiwzrgigadjivyxe6egm22fsu8-jpg

And last but not least. My middle son, Ben, finally got his first from-start-to-finish atlantic salmon. This time Maks was the less happy chappy on the photo but in his defence he nearly went blank, loosing 5 fish in a row and saving the trip on last evening.

regmcak_avqb_qiru2uyjpjhajagyemrywmzhncq4jz1cpjhzj_qnind-vetd1ir2juws7cym_dh0ncusyhzw-ttb0ikxqp9-jpg

vnc_bvcib0qkqqdygsat8ncv9dtinbn6skjhupmozd1offk_fjcsdcw2i-hgfzxto1iojsqr6ez2wu0dhlb_kvp1l-p467qx-jpg

I know, that's four

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast