Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  74
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No Longer a Virgin.....thanks to the Tyne...

Sooo.... Long story, but yesterday was my fifth trip to the Tyne. This time the North at Hesleyside. Well, actually the map on fishpal took us to the wrong beat, but it's all owned by the same bloke anyway so no harm done. I took one look at the river and i wasn't confident. Jesus, it was coming through at some force thanks to the 16 cumec releases, and i'd say only about a foot or so high, with about 18 inch visibility, but wading was going to be difficult. We walked the beat for an hour having the odd cast here and there but i didn't get a feel for any of it. Then We had a brew, and i changed my fly and leader, putting on a fly i'd tied a few days earlier, with a conehead, and a 5 foot sinking polyleader. I had a feeling i needed to get the fly down as it was spanking through. To be honest the water was probably best suited to spinning, but I wasn't going to catch my first salmon spinning; it's just not for me.
    So..... I looked at this stretch of water in front of where we'd had the brew and i got one of those feelings, which is crazy to say, so I managed to get into the river, it was just a stretch of plain flowing water a few feet deep and at the limit of my wading ability. From where i got in until where a tree sat prominent on the bank was about 70 yards, and i spent two full hours fishing this. This is completely unlike me as I like to keep moving, but for some reason i inched through this featureless stretch. At every cast i worked the fly with my fingers, even as it was swinging around, and stripped in at the end as well as figure of 8'ing. My mate came for a quick chat when i was half way down and i told him that things felt alot calmer, the river seemed gentler and i had a bit of a feeling, to which he laughed and tried upstream again. Then when i was about 20 yards from the tree, as the fly came around in the current level with said tree there was that 'Thump'. I had been working the fly, pulling the line 6-8 inches before letting the current take up the slack again when it all went solid. Instinctively the rod went up and there was two thumps transmitted through the line.
    The rod hooped over and an unseen force headed off into the current, sending spray from the flyline. This was it, the moment i had spent many thousands of pounds on, the moment i had dreamt of since a 12 year old on his first trip to the Spey. I waded slowly backward from the river, and upon reaching the bank rang my mate two times on the mobile, which was our pre-arranged signal for 'fish on'. The net was forty yards upstream, and this unseen fish allowed itself to be walked toward it quite easily. When i was within 10 yards of the net my mate appeared and the fish suddenly headed right across the river, and the battle was on. For a while i saw nothing, the black, peaty water, hid my opponent from view, but in the end a lovely hen fish surfaced, only for a split second before going on another crazy run. I'd noticed the dropper was in a mess and thought that there was a knot in my line so i dare not bully her. After another few minutes she was in the edge, but still with plenty of fight in her, and my mate, who is inexperienced, tried to net the fish and she got tangled in the vegetation, i was suddenly in the middle of a nightmare, i couldn't lose her now after all this. In the confusion a large tail surface and i just tailed her out as calm as can be. The tiny size 14 treble was firmly planted in the roof of the mouth and was never coming out in a month of sundays. In the net i put her on the scales and she went 11lb 3 oz. I cradled her in the current, admiring how thick she was and how much she meant to me and how much I thanked her. For about two minutes she laid calmy, mouth gaping slowly as she regained her composure, before slowly moving her head to tell me she was ready to be released and journey Northward to pass on her genes. It had been emotional.
    Attached Images Attached Images asal-jpg 

EXCELLENT!!!!! Great report and well rewarded fish.

Bravo and congratulations!

Fear not, even after 65 years' fishing I still get excited out of my socks every time a fish takes.

Here's to the next one, tight lines.

That was a fantastic read! Many thanks for sharing and we'll done on first of many

Well done Ashley - have you stopped shaking yet?

Thanks for the report too.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Excellent write up, i felt i was there with you. Hopefully the first of many for you

I loved reading that as it took me way back to the first time I experienced the power of a salmon as the line sprayed through the water. Congratulations

Well done Ashley ! The best feeling in the world and worth every penny and every fruitless hour when it happens. You have the confidence now, knowing you are doing things right so hopefully it won't be long before you get another No Longer a Virgin.....thanks to the Tyne...

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Really well done mate, that feeling when the line goes tight and you feel those first few kicks and know its a fish are addictive. Also i find that between fish you forget how much power they have but they soon remind you.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Spot on Ashley, well all migratory fish on the fly are owed to the north tyne now! A great read, its stories like you explain that make me love fishing for salmon/Sea trout on the fly!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast