Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default River Lochy Trip this August

With eager anticipation our (Pratty, Pete, Ali and myself) yearly trip to the Lochy came around once again. Arriving last Sunday the river looked in good nick, if a touch low, and there were reports of a healthy number of fish around, mainly on beats 3 and 4. We were starting on beat 1 and Monday morning couldn't come quick enough.

Day 1 - Monday 27th Aug - Beat 1
    First day on what has to be one of the most beautiful rivers in Scotland, containing some of the very best fly water. Weather was a bit bright and warm. The day was hard going although there were a few fish about. Nothing by lunchtime and the day was hard going. However Pratty and Pete's dad, who had joined us for the afternoon managed a fish each out of Rock. Both were farmed fish and it has to be said Pratty's was the ugliest looking fish you could imagine... :

Rock Pool

Nothing else for the afternoon and with the bar beckoning we decided to call it a day. However after bumping into Springer on the way home and noticing his party's enthusiasm, Pete and myself decided a evening cast was in order. After seeing a lot of fish in Sandy Haven and Golden Burn in the afternoon thats where we headed. Good decision too, as I managed a small 3lb grilse on a cascade. Always nice to get the first fish of the trip.

Me with grilse

Day 2 - Tuesday 28th Aug - Beat 2
    Not a good day. I managed to contrive to lose three fish ??? ??? all from boat pool. One a spanking fresh grilse around 5lb and the something altogether more substantial 3 casts later. Ali also lost a fish in Boat.

Boat Pool

Ali playing a fish

Went back at night and lost another fish of around 6lb when the hook broke! > > >. Shouldn't have tempted fate by posting the article about the Ken Sawada hooks..............

Day 3 - Wed 29th Aug - Beat 3.
    If ever there was a beat to restore confidence and in particular a set of pools then it is the Camisky pools on Beat 3. These are just superb. One fish to Pete in the morning from lower Camisky was all until lunch.

Sea Lice

The morning was hot and bright, but by 12 o'clock we had a "bit of weather" about and the day was looking much more promising. Plenty of fish showing in Falls,

Ali fishing falls pool

and in the Camisky pools. Ali lost a fish in Upper Camisky and then I managed a 5lb sea licer form Lower Camisky. After the previous day this fish was played somewhat delicately and was most welcome .

Me with 5lb Grilse

Rhum watching on with interest

A change to an ultra fast sink tip and a small skinny silver allys, accounted for 2 more fish and 2 more lost. Pete managed another from Upper Garden and Pratty one from Falls to cap an excellent day of 6 fish and 4 lost. Confidence restored.

>

>

Day 4 - Thursday 30th Aug - Beat 4.
    An early start on what would be a long day. Jon Gibb had mentioned there were a lot of fish in Lundy Mouth and Foxhunter so we were out on the water by 7am. By 7:30 had the first fish. A slightly coloured hen which took a small copper cascade (10).

6lb coloured hen

Nothing more at the bottom of the beat so we moved to big rock. Pete managed this cracking 8lbder with long tailed sea lice

Pete with a cracker

and another out of Pol Na Ha. In fact Pete had a great day with 4 fish , including 2 out of Lower Garden. Ali also got on the score sheet with another spanker out of Lower Garden. Pratty managed one out of Big Rock and finished the day off at 8pm with this 11lbder out of Kitten.

Pratty with 11lbder

Over 12 hours between first and last fish. Me I didn't touch another thing all day.......
    All fish on fast sink tips and small skinny cascades and allys.

Day 5 - 31st Aug - Beat 1.
    A small rise of water overnight (3") meant beat one was looking good for our return. I managed this coloured 8lbder in the morning from Croy.

Coloured cock fish

Again fast sink tip and a copper allys. Ali managed to lose a cracking 8lb fresh fish in Piles after an exciting aerial battle.
    Meeting at lunch Pratty had managed a a lovely fish - 7lb with long tailed sea lice from Golden Burn on a Sunray Shadow.
    With fish moving to the Sunray Pete managed one out of Croy and one out of Piles, an Pratty added another out of Croy all to the Sunray stripped fast. A good day with 5 and 2 lost.

Day 6 - 1st Sept - Beat 2
    Last day and all suffering with the excesses :P :P :P of the night before. River strangely subdued although conditions were good. River had dropped back overnight and there were a lot less fish moving. Still fished hard but no fish and no takes for the last day.

All in all a fantastic trip again with 22 fish and 11 lost for the week on the most beautiful river. Cant wit to return - roll on next year.

Our Ghillies - Rhum and Oscar

Jones
    Last edited by Jones007; 27-08-2009 at 03:55 PM.

Default What Camera?

Thanks for a great report Jones

Noticed your saltwater pics were take with equal clarity

Can you divulge the camera of choice or some basic photography tips for newomers?

thanks !

Splash

Splash,

It would be nice if I was professional enough to spout some nonsense (no offence to true masters of the photographic art) about focal length and apature speed etc, but unfortunately I am just a simple "stick it on auto and point and shoot" man. It really is that simple. The camera is fantastic but is nothing more than a decent digital compact camera - a Canon Powershot S70. You will find smaller and some with more pixels but this seems to do the job quite nicely and I think they are well under 200. I have leant to keep it in one of those excellent Simms waterproof pouches purchased from Arm and a Leg in Edin. Tips - In my humble opinion the digital camera is brilliant as it lets you take as many photos as you want and at least some will turn out OK. So just keep snapping away at anything that takes your fancy. In terms of fishing photos, catching some fish always helps!!....
    So in a nutshell, no magic, get a decent digital camera (7-10 mega pixels) and snap away.

Jones
    Last edited by Jones007; 07-11-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Fantastic Pics & your ghillies are beautiful, how old are they & what breeds?

Cheers
    Tomorrow is another day, so is the next

They are my mate Ali's dogs.

The springer is Oscar and is 6 or 7 I think, the golden retriever is Rhum and when that photo was taken he was only a few months ols. Just a wee bit bigger now!...

great post, a want 1 like it soon

Quote Originally Posted by Jones007 View Post

Pete with a cracker

Cracking report and excellent quality pics, but was that fish caught with a stone-fly ?

Altmor.

great report and even better pics! Looks like a grand adventure. Cracking looking dogs too! I especially like the pup..... is it a retriever or a lab..... i never can tell the difference!

well done again, and keep up the good work

John.

John,

Golden retriever, and thanks for the comments.

The Lochy has got to be one of the nicest rivers with some of the best fly water in the country. Roll on next August!

J.

Default Memories!

These pictures bring back memories a bundle. I have fished all 4 beats and just marveled at the views again. The talk of the kitten, camisky house beat (drain pipe was a good spot) and a picture there, that did not have a pool name, but I believe it was the pileing pool? top of beat one. My own rod caught 21 for the week and was in the Trout and Salmon Mag in Jan 89 (I think). Thanks for the pictures and reminder of a lovely river.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast