Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default no flow ?

Looked on Farsons yesterday , there was no flow on the R. Ericht at all ! but the rain in that region yest has rescued the flow even if its a trickle today

Twitter

Have a look at this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Prefab Trout View Post
    Twitter

Have a look at this.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Shockingly bad situation.
    The lade is taking all what it left of the flow and doesnít seem to be the same qty going back in some 1-2 miles downstream.
    need rain ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher View Post
    Shockingly bad situation.
    The lade is taking all what it left of the flow and doesnít seem to be the same qty going back in some 1-2 miles downstream.
    need rain ASAP
    The Lade ? fish farm ?

Should not be allowed in low flows ?

Quote Originally Posted by salarium View Post
    The Lade ? fish farm ?

Should not be allowed in low flows ?
    Yes the (mill) lade feeds the fish farm now that there is no other need for the lades water.

whether they should be banned in these circumstances is a very debatable one, as is farmers watering there crops.
    They are all businesses that have a right to water too, and yes I know the issues with water abstraction and low rivers. I donít think for one minute they care about a few fish caught in the pools that never made it downstream when the water was dropping. The majority of the fish would have dropped downstream to deeper pools as part of their survival instincts. But there will always be a few that didnít quite work it out.

difficult and emotive subject with no winners
    Last edited by kingfisher; 24-07-2018 at 08:34 PM.

Default river Ericht

Blairgowrie angling club has been trying for years to resolve the fish farm water abstraction issue .
    Three weeks ago a number of adult salmon died in pools downstream of blair bridge , these fish were trapped due to the drought .
    However the fish farm decided it wanted more water {prob due to the over stocked fish farm fish being stressed ] and opened the lade gates and took all the river flow killing the adult salmon and trapping thousands of parr in what can only be described as puddles !!!!.
    We have now had two meeting with John Swinney ,SEPA TDSFB{see press release 7/8/18 courier page twelve ].
    This has been a long journey to get this resolved and probably cost the ericht a lot of smolts as they also get trapped during the smolt drop .
    we need all the support we can get .
    I also believe that a further press article will be in the fly fisher fly tyer mag next issue .
    Watch this space !!!!! .

regards
    Robert Kellie
    blairgowrie Rattray and district angling association
    river conveiner

Quote Originally Posted by kelliefly View Post
    Blairgowrie angling club has been trying for years to resolve the fish farm water abstraction issue .
    Three weeks ago a number of adult salmon died in pools downstream of blair bridge , these fish were trapped due to the drought .
    However the fish farm decided it wanted more water {prob due to the over stocked fish farm fish being stressed ] and opened the lade gates and took all the river flow killing the adult salmon and trapping thousands of parr in what can only be described as puddles !!!!.
    We have now had two meeting with John Swinney ,SEPA TDSFB{see press release 7/8/18 courier page twelve ].
    This has been a long journey to get this resolved and probably cost the ericht a lot of smolts as they also get trapped during the smolt drop .
    I also believe that a further press article will be in the fly fisher fly tyer mag next issue .
    Watch this space !!!!! .

regards
    Robert Kellie
    river conveiner
    Good work Robert and I hope results come quickly.

Watch this space !!!!! .

regards
    Robert Kellie
    river conveiner
    used to be the same problem on the river Wenning in lancashire-took ages to resolve

Watch this space !!!!! .

regards
    Robert Kellie
    river conveiner
    From the photos/videos on the Twitter link above, didnt somebody from the relevant agency have the right to close the mill gate to an acceptable level - as I imagine somebody from the EA would try to mitigate an ongoing pollution incident?

Perhaps not as simple as that , but just wondered - a policeman would rightly break into a hot car with a dog suffocating.

Maybe it was a simple choice between the fish farm stocks dying, or the river stocks.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    From the photos/videos on the Twitter link above, didnt somebody from the relevant agency have the right to close the mill gate to an acceptable level - as I imagine somebody from the EA would try to mitigate an ongoing pollution incident?

Perhaps not as simple as that , but just wondered - a policeman would rightly break into a hot car with a dog suffocating.

Maybe it was a simple choice between the fish farm stocks dying, or the river stocks.
    I'm not sure of the law in Scotland but in England nearly all abstraction licences have to leave either a proportion of the total flow at the point of abstraction or a set amount. At the very least there should be an arrangement to leave a sweetening flow sufficient to keep the river alive between abstraction and discharge points.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123