Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  84
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Wear Sea Trout

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sunny Seaburn
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Attachment 26137
    Newfield Dam looking downstream.

    Attachment 26138
    About 1/4 mile up from Newfield Dam. Had some cracking brownies out of these pools. Saw a 25lb salmon caught here from the far bank.

    Attachment 26139
    The path down to the river in May.
    Looks lovely. Which clubs run these waters

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickyo View Post
    Looks lovely. Which clubs run these waters
    bishop Auckland angling club, prices reduced this year to 150 for membership, they control about 15 mile of water.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sunny Seaburn
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenlaner2009 View Post
    bishop Auckland angling club, prices reduced this year to 150 for membership, they control about 15 mile of water.
    The water looks really nice are you a member? I think it was Walleye that mentioned BAAC a while back. I did not realise how nice it looks. Maybe a club to look at Joining.

    Mick

  4. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greenlaner2009 View Post
    bishop Auckland angling club, prices reduced this year to 150 for membership, they control about 15 mile of water.
    Yep, that's correct. BADAC also has, imho, one of the best ST night fishing pools on the Wear, Vinovium Pool. Easy secure parking and access, great craic with the regulars, cracking ST run. If you don't mind 3-4 others fishing the pool at the same time (the fish don't mind) it's a great pool to fish. Worth the membership alone imo although there are also a few runs with not so easy access which are also very good.

    There's some great fishing to be had in several clubs on the Wear for far less in a season than what it would cost for a single day on some rivers.

    Clubs I know of working upstream from tidal limit... ST Prices may not be accurate so corrections are welcomed and please add clubs if I've missed any...
    Chester Le Street AC ~300
    Finchale Priory 35
    TAS 270
    Felling Fly Fishers ??
    Durham Rangers ~400
    Free Stretch 0
    Durham City AC ??
    Ferryhill &District AC ~70
    Bishop Auckland AC 150
    Willington &District AC ~80
    Witton le Wear ~500 (may have name and price wrong)
    Wolsingham AC ??
    Frosterley AC ~70
    Stanhope AC ??
    There are a few more further upstream but don't know them well.

    If anyone knows any other clubs please post. I love fishing the Wear and hope to fish as much of it as possible for brown trout, ST and salmon. I particularly fancy the tidal stretches downstream of Chester Le Street, there are some likely looking pools there at low tide but I don't know how well they fish or which clubs have the fishing.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    1,894

    Default fotos

    Great fotos there walleye,some great info for the lads and lasses in the forums if ever they visit the Wear,is that the beginning of the woods near "BAN THE BOMB" pool? shooting gallery?

    Also they is free fishing directly on the far side of kepier pool durham rangers water,and is they still newsagents and petrol stations that sell day tickets nearer stanhope/eastgate areas?

    Stunning scenery also,catherderals,bells ringimng the hussle and bussle of bust Durham city,the cosmopolitan feel about it,steep banks,strange shops the whole lot,and when yer fishing in the river and yer hear the bells ringing etc wow can't get any better for city fishing.We are sat on some craking water i know that....
    Last edited by Taddy; 11-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taddy View Post
    Great fotos there walleye,some great info for the lads and lasses in the forums if ever they visit the Wear,is that the beginning of the woods near "BAN THE BOMB" pool? shooting gallery?

    Also they is free fishing directly on the far side of kepier pool durham rangers water,and is they still newsagents and petrol stations that sell day tickets nearer stanhope/eastgate areas?

    Stunning scenery also,catherderals,bells ringimng the hussle and bussle of bust Durham city,the cosmopolitan feel about it,steep banks,strange shops the whole lot,and when yer fishing in the river and yer hear the bells ringing etc wow can't get any better for city fishing.We are sat on some craking water i know that....
    Taddy, sorry I haven't a clue about the pool name. The photo is of the pool near the bottom of low Grange farm beat, just below the sewage works outflow where you come out of the woods into a field. Union farm is on the left bank, the next pool down from this one is where the Adventure Valley tractor comes right down to the river to turn.
    I am intrigued about the names "ban the bomb" and "shooting gallery".... You can't drop names like that into the thread without the story of how they got their names:-)

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sunny Seaburn
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Taddy, sorry I haven't a clue about the pool name. The photo is of the pool near the bottom of low Grange farm beat, just below the sewage works outflow where you come out of the woods into a field. Union farm is on the left bank, the next pool down from this one is where the Adventure Valley tractor comes right down to the river to turn.
    I am intrigued about the names "ban the bomb" and "shooting gallery".... You can't drop names like that into the thread without the story of how they got their names:-)
    I asked the same question regarding "Ban the Bomb" pool/area. I was told it was from the era when all the protests about the nuclear/weapons and bombs were rife in the 50's and 60's "Hippy time". As you walk down river there are some old "I think mine vents/workings" and above them are some cliffs which are all over grown now with bushes and trees. Anyway somebody apparently painted a big Ban the Bomb sign at the top of these cliffs. Don't know how true the story is but that is what I was told by somebody who knows the river very well. So as there was a good pool there I presume thats how it was given its name by the fishing community.
    Cant help with the shooting gallery though.

    Later

    Mick

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    1,894

    Default Bn the Bomb

    Thats run is as yer enter the woods or also known as the shooting gallery as durham light infantry used to practice there during WW2 hence the amount of 303 empty shell casings yer find and now and then flights from mortar shells or peat guns (spelling) the first deep bit below the rapid used to get called the bomb crator.
    Ban the Bomb well i told my version of the story a few times but here we go again,back in the 60s they was a lad who er used to get how can i pput it enlightend by er mushrooms and strong white sugar cubes if ya get me,so one day out his brains on mushrooms he sat up there and painted the ban the bomb logo on the cliff face,same lad had long blong hair similar to rock star Jonny winter and left Durham for london (with my old mate tommy mac) they got to the smoke and ended up in a gay bar something very unheard of here at the time in the frozen north,anyway a feller tried to tap him up and the feller tried it on the lad (jonny winter lookalike) wan't having any of that malarky so he went to chin the feller,thats when it went pete tong the feller paggered him in the gay bar----that man was a famous 60s actor he played the part as Jason King (peter wyngarde) department x series from late 60s early 70s and Jason King,for any one who dont why he stopped acting internet search it.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Sunny Seaburn
    Posts
    486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Taddy View Post
    Thats run is as yer enter the woods or also known as the shooting gallery as durham light infantry used to practice there during WW2 hence the amount of 303 empty shell casings yer find and now and then flights from mortar shells or peat guns (spelling) the first deep bit below the rapid used to get called the bomb crator.
    Ban the Bomb well i told my version of the story a few times but here we go again,back in the 60s they was a lad who er used to get how can i pput it enlightend by er mushrooms and strong white sugar cubes if ya get me,so one day out his brains on mushrooms he sat up there and painted the ban the bomb logo on the cliff face,same lad had long blong hair similar to rock star Jonny winter and left Durham for london (with my old mate tommy mac) they got to the smoke and ended up in a gay bar something very unheard of here at the time in the frozen north,anyway a feller tried to tap him up and the feller tried it on the lad (jonny winter lookalike) wan't having any of that malarky so he went to chin the feller,thats when it went pete tong the feller paggered him in the gay bar----that man was a famous 60s actor he played the part as Jason King (peter wyngarde) department x series from late 60s early 70s and Jason King,for any one who dont why he stopped acting internet search it.
    I like your version better Taddy HeHe ........oh and I remember Jason King. He was the posh one with the perm wasn't he
    Last edited by Mickyo; 14-01-2018 at 02:27 PM.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Stockton on Tees
    Posts
    1,894

    Default Jk

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickyo View Post
    I like your version better Taddy HeHe ........oh and I remember Jason King. He was the posh one with the perm wasn't he

    Yes big hair,gold rings,big collars,russian paranoia and esponage and flairs along with massive sideburners,as camp as primrose valley
    ,but the women loved him!!!!!

    not sure but him and george michael had something in common

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •