Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Passmore View Post
    Correct. A round of applause for that man
    I'm willing to bet you had limited interest from salar but loads trout.

Never seems to produce a lot of fish lower beat 13.
    It is a good walk from what I remember. Last time I was down on that stretch was over 10 years ago but my fishing companion did have one from the burn pool that day.

Quote Originally Posted by riffled hitch View Post
    I'm willing to bet you had limited interest from salar but loads trout.

Never seems to produce a lot of fish lower beat 13.
    It is a good walk from what I remember. Last time I was down on that stretch was over 10 years ago but my fishing companion did have one from the burn pool that day.
    I'd have to agree that in late summer/September you'd probably be as well to have a day's trout fishing on 12 and 13 (and you'd have a cracking day if you were deliberately targeting them as one of my party did for a couple of hours when we stayed at Strathmore Lodge). I've had late summer salmon off both.

However, they do seem thin on the ground and Loch Beg feels empty at that time of year. Spring to early summer seems to be the time to be there.
    Last edited by Nigel Passmore; 06-12-2017 at 03:15 PM.

I'd have to agree that in late summer/September you'd probably be as well to have a day's trout fishing on 12 and 13 (and you'd have a cracking day if you were deliberately targeting them as one of my party did for a couple of hours when we stayed at Strathmore Lodge). I've had late summer salmon off both.

However, they do seem thin on the ground and Loch Beg feels empty at that time of year. Spring to early summer seems to be the time to be there.

I would agree fully
    The upper two beats (12&13) seem to slow down from June through to July. But I had one great day on beat part of 12 in August a few years back after a substantial lift and the old ones came back on the take. There is always fish to be had, they just become a little more difficult to Tempt in my experience.

It is wonderful part of caithness up there.
    Roll on 2018.

Oooh, exciting, just booked the last week in September for 2018! Can't wait if the water's like that!!

Oscar.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    Oooh, exciting, just booked the last week in September for 2018! Can't wait if the water's like that!!

Oscar.
    I am not sure if it is your first visit? If so, the Thurso offers all sorts of interesting challenges across many different beats. My understanding is the last major spawning burn before Loch More is on Beat 11. So in the autumn you don't tend to get much fresh above beat 11, and many of the earlier fish have taken to the sanctuary of Loch More itself. Hence why 12 and 13 are quieter at that time of year. That certainly accorded with our experience over a few seasons.

Unless they have changed the rotation, or the rotation is not full, you will have to fish one or other if you are there for a week. However, depending on water or wind, many of the beats between 11 - 2 are capable of producing big catches at that time of year.

I hope you have a great time.

Regards

NHP

I am not sure if it is your first visit? If so, the Thurso offers all sorts of interesting challenges across many different beats. My understanding is the last major spawning burn before Loch More is on Beat 11. So in the autumn you don't tend to get much fresh above beat 11, and many of the earlier fish have taken to the sanctuary of Loch More itself. Hence why 12 and 13 are quieter at that time of year. That certainly accorded with our experience over a few seasons.

Unless they have changed the rotation, or the rotation is not full, you will have to fish one or other if you are there for a week. However, depending on water or wind, many of the beats between 11 - 2 are capable of producing big catches at that time of year.

Regards

NHP
    Oscar - I would recommend taking or sharing a ghillie for your week unless your fishing partner (assuming you are going with a pal) has experience of the river. The first time we fished it we arrogantly (read mean) didn't take a ghillie and spent too much time wandering the massive beats. Subsequently we changed our week to early June and a ghillie is included in the package price - what a difference.

Not a lot of fishing to be done on Beat13 today

Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    Not a lot of fishing to be done on Beat13 today

Weight forward line should do it!

Quote Originally Posted by spawny View Post
    Weight forward line should do it!
    You'd still winkle one out!

Regards

NHP
    Thanks Nigel, much appreciated.

It will be my first time, but I'll be with 3 pals (spawny on this thread being one of them) who fished this spring and will also be fishing next spring! They will love being my ghillie!

Cheers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast