Craignure?

Brian i am sure its not canvey island!
    Andy Wren (doctor to US friends)

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    Craignure?
    Spot on 👍
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Sea smoke in Oban Bay this morning.
    It was bitter cold despite the sunshine.

c35ba5d8-c763-48c4-89e3-8bf5071837d4-jpeg

c13a27f5-dbf0-424d-badd-ae6aadd62b18-jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Itís a sunrise photo , Tom 😉
    Well aware of that B.
    I'm not a Master Mariner like yourself but to me the photo was looking North as the sun is rising on the right.
    Tell me what was wrong with that logic?
    My 1st thought was actually Craignure but then I tried to analyse too deeply I guess.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by keirstream View Post
    I'm not a Master Mariner like yourself but to me the photo was looking North as the sun is rising on the right.
    Tell me what was wrong with that logic?
    You need to remember that at this time of year the sun rises a long way to the south of east. In fact, at the winter solstice, sunrise in Craignure actually occurs at 134 degrees, just one degree short of due south-east. And I would estimate that in this shot the sun is rising about 45 degrees to the right (i.e. south) of Ben Cruachan, depending a bit on the camera lens used (the width of view of a wide angle lens is typically about 75 degrees from edge to edge).

On that basis, my dear Watson, it would follow that the picture was taken from somewhere more or less due west of Ben Cruachan.
    Last edited by charlieH; 02-12-2019 at 04:54 PM.

I was about to explain , Tom , but Charlie has done a grand job instead.
    Didnt take a bearing of Cruachan at the time , but I reckon it canít be very much more than a point north of east.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    You need to remember that at this time of year the sun rises a long way to the south of east. In fact, at the winter solstice, sunrise in Craignure actually occurs at 134 degrees, just one degree short of due south-east. And I would estimate that in this shot the sun is rising about 45 degrees to the right (i.e. south) of Ben Cruachan, depending a bit on the camera lens used (the width of view of a wide angle lens is typically about 75 degrees from edge to edge).

On that basis, my dear Watson, it would follow that the picture was taken from somewhere more or less due west of Ben Cruachan.
    Jings.
    I've forgotten all my mountain training.
    Respect My Authorita!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post

That was how I worked it out, tempered with a little knowledge of where ferries go.

Default Sunset down at the beach

fadb701e-8196-4693-b228-33b6aebcb43d-jpeg

My local beach in East Devon.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast