Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Annan today-Applegarth

Just thought i'd post a few piccy's of our grayling trip today.

Started off brilliantly with a storm report on the radio, just as we were driving into this going south from Glasgow

Undeterred our brave warriors carried on. The first thing i noticed when we arrived was the clarity of the water. Now the water was big too, so it was Czech nymphs all round

So after some brief juvenile arguing, it was decided that his lordship(the bro) would have the first cast of 2008. Mind you he'd already fallen over twice down a gulley, so i felt it to be the right decision.

The weather when we arrived was nothing short of brilliant. Frost onthe ground, sun in the sky. The sort of day you're glad to be alive.

Until the snow started. Now the inly reason you can't see it so well is that it was flying at a right angle due to the gale force wind. Nippy face time..

One of very few likely looking areas

And a wee leaded bug type thing i was using (uploaded the wrong piccy, other one is much clearer. Not bad for one handed, in a gale, and i couldn't feel that hand anyway)

So all in all, a thorough , cob web bloweringly , shattering, frozen snottered , brilliant day. despite the lack of fish. Proved just too hard to find.

Granters

Nice report Granters. Who do the Grayling tickets for Applegarth?
    salmonfishing forum.com

splash, you can get them directly off fishscotland, as with most of the Annan grayling fishing. However, wouldn't go back to this particular beat as there's just not enough deep water to hold them in the cold weather. Only about 2 places that looked really fishy, the rest we simply ignored. I suppose though that a more experienced gryling fisherman could winkle a few out

Like the report Granters, nice pics and surprised you didn't get a hold of anything there. I've had a couple of goes recently down at Johnstonebridge. First one ended with a couple of small grayling in awful conditions and second visit below Newton Wamphrey before Christmas saw one salmon of around 10lbs (!!), 3 beautiful brownies around 2lb ish and the world's smallest grayling.
    The resident experts in Orvis Edinburgh seem to do very well there with big weighted nymphs - double tungsten bead creations that would have you fearing for your rod!
    Have you tried further down the river ?

Quote Originally Posted by barkingcollie View Post
    Like the report Granters, nice pics and surprised you didn't get a hold of anything there. I've had a couple of goes recently down at Johnstonebridge. First one ended with a couple of small grayling in awful conditions and second visit below Newton Wamphrey before Christmas saw one salmon of around 10lbs (!!), 3 beautiful brownies around 2lb ish and the world's smallest grayling.
    The resident experts in Orvis Edinburgh seem to do very well there with big weighted nymphs - double tungsten bead creations that would have you fearing for your rod!
    Have you tried further down the river ?
    I've fished for salmon further down the river and can already think of a few pools that would be stuffed with grayling at this time of year. the conditions were nothing short of appalling when the wind kicked up, but at least i was fishing at last! Surprised how narrow the river was to be honest, but Applegarth is fairly high up i think?

cheers