Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default 1st fish for 2008!!

Got this wee beauty today (01.01.08)...or rather it got me..(on the back of my head to be precise) just as the wind caught it when I was looking over the side of the ship during a New Year stroll on the back deck!!

Happy New Year everyone
    Tightlines for 2008
    Clydebuilt

Wow

What is it and where are you exactly?

Springer,

It's a Flying Fish and I'm currently bobbing about in the Gulf of Mexico (about 200 miles offshore South of Alabama).
    It's actually a bit on the small side for a flying fish, normally they are a good bit bigger.
    I have been working offshore Brazil for most of last year and they are huge down there, if one gets big air and hits you you certainly know all about it!!

Hoping to have a cast for some big Tuna or Dorado tonight, fingers crossed!!

Clydebuilt
    Last edited by Clydebuilt; 01-01-2008 at 11:35 AM. Reason: grammar

Aye, life can be a bit of a bind sometimes All the best for 2008.
    Smile,its catching

Fancy a swap job Kercock??

I wish I was out here on holiday but I have been on this boat since Nov 22 and not due off until the 11th January, just in time for the new season eh!

A' the best

Clydebuilt

Cool

aye aye clydebuilt how you doing pal what ship you on .............?drill /dive.pipecable you had a night out in brazo yet with the samba chiks QUILITY were you tying up....?rgds ss

Quote Originally Posted by smokiesalmon View Post
    aye aye clydebuilt how you doing pal what ship you on .............?drill /dive.pipecable you had a night out in brazo yet with the samba chiks QUILITY were you tying up....?rgds ss
    smokiesalmon,

I'm based on an ROV ship, used to do the cable many moons ago but had to chuck it before my liver gave in
    We were tying up in Rio, Vitoria and Macae, happy days!!!!!!!!!!!!
    All we get now is Fourchon and a few other equally delightfull ports

Here's another wee beauty that nearly speared me last trip, its a Ballyhoo.

Last edited by Clydebuilt; 26-01-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: photo

Default Ballyhoo

You get massive shoals of these Ballyhoo or halfbeaks as they get called, of Cape Cod and the Eastern seaboard in summer. As they can't seem to swim as fast as some of the other bait, the tuna, love them and take their time, driving up to the surface and then just ploughing through great swathes of them at their leisure. Its great for flyfishing when the tuna get into them as they seem to stay on the surface for longer than with sandeels or juvenile menhaden
    salmonfishing forum.com

Jobswop,Nah.
    Yon Ballyhoos are strange to look at, the last time I saw anything like that, I think I scored 180 with three of those
    Smile,its catching