Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which camera??

Default Which camera??

Guys, i know nout about photography and cameras, but looking to buy a fairly decent camera for taking some quality snaps,
    Im looking for something in the region of 400 - 500.
    Ideas anyone?

Gary.

You are giving yourself a high maximum price anyway Gary. You would need to give a wee bit more information on what you actually want the camera for and what you intend to photograph with it.

Have you an interest in photography or think you might take an interest in it?

In that price range you could easily get a decent DSLR camera. There are some good new beginner kits with camera body and couple of lenses of different focal lengths. Again, there will be used equipment in the intermediate range for around this price bracket.

DSLRs can be a bit confusing for anyone just starting off but there are automatic modes to make life a bit easier for people like myself.

Or do you want a camera just for snapping away with no real care about settings, just 'point and shoot', as these types of cameras are known.

If this is the case you will not need to spend anywhere near 500. There are some fantastic cameras in the 50 - 150 range that will take fantastic pictures without any fuss.

Then there are the inbetweeners or bridging cameras (I think they are called) which are supposed to be the bridge between point and shoot and DSLR. I don't think I've ever used one so can't really say much about them.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Id like to have a camera that i can use for everything, outdoor photos ,in the hills, by the river, but also for family photos. not sure i fancy taking a camera with interchangeable lenses out walking and fishing with me... may be an option though if i can get a compact enough camera.
    I have only ever used a basic camera with little settings, like macro and automatic mode settings.

Gary.

Hi, the canon s100 is pretty good. Worth a look.
    David

i have a panasoniuc lumix ts which is waterpoof which is quite useful for fishing pics.

I think you have to decide first if you want to carry a DSLR everywhere in case you buy one, I was very skeptic to that before I switch to one from a compact but now I am used to it and don't see it as a problem anymore.

However a compact is of course more robust and might be easier to bring everywhere.

It also takes some time to get into DSLRs because with just point and shoot your will probably not get the results you want.

Regards,
    Tom

you have a pm gary

Hi there Gary,
    If your looking for a versatile camera that will fit in your pocket and do just about everything, and more importantly saving on the weight you have to carry around then I would have to go for a Compact System Camera, or CSC for short.
    You have a few to chose from:
    The first, which is in your price range(hunt around) would be the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1XEF-K , this is the kit with the 14-42mm power o.i.s. lens
    very small. there is a cheaper kit with a bulkier lens but I would go with the first.
    Secondly, the Olympus OM-D (and my personal choice from these three), but including my prefered lens for this camera your talking about over a grand+.
    Thirdly, the Fuji X-Pro(and a close second to the Olympus in my view).

The GX-1 will give you the versatility of changing lenses to suit any and most situations after you become more proficient with the unit, that is if you want to.

The overriding factor in going for these cameras is their lack of bulk and weight in comparison to the DSLR's and the lenses that go with them, especialy when your hauling them up mountains or taking them abroad on flights, where the weight factor is important(these days).

Hope all that has been of use to you.

Cap

Ps. dissregard the picture of the panasonic that comes up when you click on the name, click and copy the entire code as well.
    Last edited by Steelheadnut; 26-08-2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: additional info

I've read the rave reviews of the Fuji X PRO and a professional photographer friend tells me it is marvellous. A couple of problems though: very expensive and a very limited range of lenses.

For 500 you have a few other choices. here's the ones I'd think about. Someone else will no doubt think differenrly based on their own experiences.

If you can live without a viewfinder Canon s100 or it's predecessor s95 (I own one of these). Like virtually all compacts they are too slow for action and don't take great pictures especially in low light but they are at the top end of compacts with possibly the best lens.

If you can't live without a viewfinder then I've heard great things about the Canon G1x from a couple of lads than have used them - but no macro and poor close ups - also slow like all compacts. I haven't seen them yet but the images are supposed to be superb.

Canon G12 - pictures not as good as above but has macro. It's like a toughened up Canon S95 with a viewfinder.

SLR: Nikon 3100. Fast, great pictures, great range of lenses. I'd choose this over the newer D3200 as it is now much cheaper and for the same price as a 3200 you can also have a 55-200mm lens. I borrowed a Nikon 3100 for a week when I was considering upgrading my "knockabout" D40 SLR. It's excellent.

By the way lots of megapixels in a compact camera is not a good thing, far from it. The tiny sensors simply can't handle them - especially in low light. A very few compact cameras - like the G1x have very much bigger sensors so can handle 14MP.

Nikon D5100 Digital SLR with 18-105mm VR Lens - Digital SLRs - Jessops

Have a look at this camera

Id like an explanation of the 18- 105mm vr lens?
    what does this mean and what will it let me photograph?

id like to do some close up shots aswell as senic shots / family shots.

Gary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast