Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Question Help: Light Tent Advice Needed

I am currently using a 500mm square light tent with a black background and I'm struggling to find the most effective position for my light sources.

I currently have a 85w (425w equivelent) CFL white daylight bulb directly above the tent and a small 50w halogen spot on either side but I have also started leaving off the halogens to avoid light types mixing and there is more than enouigh light coming from the CFL bulb above the tent/fly.

The fly is positioned side on to the camera inside the tent and I am on macro about 12 inches from the fly.

I have no shortage of light inside the tent but the trouble is the CFL from above is providing a very strong highlight accross the over wing of the fly and the colours look a little bleached out. I also have to adjust quite heavily for white balance.

Is the CFL rediculously overpowered?

Anyone have some pointers on where I should have my lighting and how far away from the tent (currently very close) or what I am doing wrong?
    Last edited by OZ; 03-04-2012 at 04:23 PM.

Oz, ideally you should try and find a second daylight-balanced light source and try moving them to each side of the tent. If that's not an option try moving the light further away from the roof of the tent, that will soften and lessen the intensity of the light significantly.

I'd be happy moving the CFL bulb, or two lights if you have them, two or three feet from the tent.

Do you have a front to the tent with a slit in it to shoot through, or are you using the tent without a front wall?

I'm intrigued why, with a daylight light source, you have to correct the white balance.

Hi mate thanks for responding. The tent has no front so I have to be careful that no light goes directly into the lens which is why I put the CFL above to keep it out of the way of the lens but I do have another CFL of similar power so will move one to each side and use card to protect the lens from light.

As far as the white balance is concerned the CFL says white light on the box and the fly colours do look cold which from reading on the web is to be expected? I was wondering if using an incandescent or halogen just to put some warmth back in might be useful?

I also have the usual exposure issue with the black background going grey in the image but I can usually correct that in Photoshop. I am using a -1.0 correction which helps but any further and the fly starts to darken too.

Might as well say at this point that I'm using a Nikon L120 Bridge Camera so other than EV correction and ISO locking there is little I can do but select a few different light types.

Cut a slit in a white pillow case and hang it over the front of the tent, and shoot through the slit, so that the light is reflecting back onto the front of the fly.

A tungsten/incandescent light to supplement the CFL may well help warm up the image but I'd prefer to do that in Photoshop. Or try setting the white balance to the cloudy or flash settings.

Thanks for the advice I will give it a go and see what the effect is.