Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Canon SX30is - megazoom bridge camera

I am an unashamed fan of bridge cameras and this thread is not an invitation to discuss why SLRs are better - because in general they are!

However for the enthusiastic dabbler, bridge cameras are great. I have owned three up to now - an Olympus 10x zoom, a Panasonic Lumix 18x with a Leica lens and now the Canon 30SX with a whopping 35x optical zoom!

The zoom on the Canon equates to 24 - 840mm in standard 35mm format and the advantage over an SLR in that respect is obvious. It also takes HD video in 720p.

As someone with a casual interest in birdwatching and a new grandchild this camera is considerably more than the doctor ordered!

Anyone else use bridge cameras or have a view on them?

Last edited by Welsh Dee; 29-01-2011 at 10:25 AM.

for fishing just use a p/s fits in the pocket nice. Looking for a DSLR god where do you start

What's the image quality like at 840mm?

I have the panasonic lumix dmc - fz38 with the 18 x optical zoom (28-504mm) as you have also.

I really like it , I was going to go for a cheap DSLR but got that last year as it was smaller and didn't require any lenses etc. so fits in my chest pack well.

Photos are pretty good in all ranges. Macro mode isn't bad for flies etc.

and its still pretty clear at longish ranges - this is taken from quite far from the side of a cricket pitch at 13x optical zoom (bit over exposed but thats probably due to poor settings)

Quite responsive for casting shots

Colours aren't bad and the HD video is also good quality

Obviously doesn't produce as good quality results as DSLRs but its 220 which is pretty good value

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    What's the image quality like at 840mm?
    Good. It's got a great image stabilisation system so handhelds at 840mm are fine. Pictures get a bit noisy at ISO settings of 800 and 1600 but using the idiot proof auto setting or a program setting with 400 ISO is great. As I'm not a camera geek I can take some of the verdicts of the magazine reviewers with a pinch of salt.

Just watched first HD videos via HDMI cable direct to TV and they are brilliant.