Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannon 400d

Default Cannon 400d

Hi Folks,

Have got this camera from my sister, with a view to trying it out, and maybe being able to purchase it at the end for a small fee. She knew that there may be a few problems with it as she has not used it for a while. The first visible problem is that when you turn it on, it states that there is a problem with the CF Card, and that it needs to be replaced. I have done this and it still no good, asking the same again, i have tried to format the new card, but it doesnt seem to be allowing me to do this. You can still take pictures, but of course this is useless unless you can save them, and even when doing this the intended shot does not appear on the screen before hand, only after the shot has been taken, and for a few seconds. Is there any hope for this camera before i throw alot of money at it? I would imagine that ant warranty on it would be up now as she has had it for a good few years now!

Any advice would be appreciated!
    "Nothing makes a fish bigger, than almost being caught"

Dabbler
    You compose the picture through the viewfinder. The picture will not appear on the screen as this model has not got live view. It appears on the screen after the shot and you can set the length of time in the menu. I had a CF problem with a 300D and I will try to remember how I cured it.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

The problem with mine was that one of the pins that go into the card had bent over. Take out the card and look in the slot to check if this has happened. I so remove the battery and GENTLY ease the pin back up straight with a fine scewdriver. Gently re-insert the card and it will straighten the pin. Remove the card and check if all is well. Replace the card and battery, switch on and coss your fingers.
    Regards Gary
    Fishing for 60 years and am still trying to understand why I do it, but I love misunderstandings

Thanks for the advise so far guys. Away now to check a few things and let you 's know the outcome!

Quote Originally Posted by gwelsher View Post
    The problem with mine was that one of the pins that go into the card had bent over. Take out the card and look in the slot to check if this has happened. I so remove the battery and GENTLY ease the pin back up straight with a fine scewdriver. Gently re-insert the card and it will straighten the pin. Remove the card and check if all is well. Replace the card and battery, switch on and coss your fingers.
    Thanks Gwelsher! It Worked 3 of the pins were bent, straightened them like you said, put the card back in and formatted without the error 99 appearing, and its working fine. Now trying to get to grips with it! i'm still wondering do i really need a DSLR, still thinking of the Fugi Finepix. Cant get to grips with not having the Live View, but i guess you would get used to this!

Thanks again! Boy's this forum is great

Glad it worked. Stick with the Canon it will give you great pictures and a lot of options that compact cameras don't. You don't have to get into the heavy stuff straight away, if ever, you can use the full auto setting or one of the other programmes and let the camera sort it out. You will soon get used to the viewfinder it was what we all used in the "old" days.
    Regards Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler.07 View Post
    Thanks Gwelsher! It Worked 3 of the pins were bent, straightened them like you said, put the card back in and formatted without the error 99 appearing, and its working fine. Now trying to get to grips with it! i'm still wondering do i really need a DSLR, still thinking of the Fugi Finepix. Cant get to grips with not having the Live View, but i guess you would get used to this!

Thanks again! Boy's this forum is great
    When I bought my camera, one of the reasons I bought the model I did was because it had Live View. To be honest, I never use it. It slows the shutter speed of the camera. It can almost half the frames per second rate of the camera.

Use the DSLR for a while to see how you get on. It can be a very interesting and addictive activity.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!

Problems again! I was out taking a few photos, and decided to remove the CF Card to store them on the lap top. Problem is that the small brass pins that Gwesler mentioned in an earlier post, came out with the card. I must have weakened it, when i straightened them. So now back to the same problem as before. Can this be fixed?

Yes a new socket can be fitted. Here is a link to one site for 85
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CANON-EOS-400D...c363f3ffcd9571
    Regards Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast