Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lens for low light

I have a 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6 lens on my SLR but sadly it is damaged.
    Its a good all round lens, but in low light its not ideal.

I have been looking at some Nikon 50mm and 35mm f 1.8 lenses, but the downside is the lack of versatility a prime lens offers. They are however reasonably priced.
    Another lens I have looked at is a sigma 17-50 f2.8, more expensive than the 2 other lenses combined, but it offers the flexibility of being able to adjust the focal length whilst still offering the opportunity to shoot in low light.

Anyone got any experience with any of the lenses mentioned or have any suggestions. Budget 350 ish.
    Thanks.

What sort of shooting will you do with this lens?

Its useful to understand what you plan to use it for before making any recommendations.

Night/evening photography of landscapes and sky.
    Long shutter speeds and high ISO settings.

Wont you need a large DOF for that sort of thing?

Indeed. I have a funny feeling I am barking up the wrong tree with the lenses I am looking at!

Quote Originally Posted by let them all go View Post
    Indeed. I have a funny feeling I am barking up the wrong tree with the lenses I am looking at!
    Quite possibly.

The type of shooting you describe requires long exposure times and a tripod, as such it doesn't matter whether you expose for 5 seconds or 15 seconds so it would be normal to be shooting at f9 ish with a 50mm lens to get the required DOF.

There is nothing wrong with buying an f2.8 lens as you describe as having the option to open it up will come in hand at times but not for the night time shots where you will be using is closed down quite a bit.

Sigma make good value lenses and some are very good indeed, try checking out reviews on Youtube.

Thanks for the feedback-appreciated

I would recommend picking up the 35mm f1.8 nikkor regardless of what you shoot. For the money its such a super lens and if you have a half decent DSLR you will really unlock a lot of its (and your) potential.

Quote Originally Posted by let them all go View Post
    I have a 18-55mm f 3.5-5.6 lens on my SLR but sadly it is damaged.
    Its a good all round lens, but in low light its not ideal.

I have been looking at some Nikon 50mm and 35mm f 1.8 lenses, but the downside is the lack of versatility a prime lens offers. They are however reasonably priced.
    Another lens I have looked at is a sigma 17-50 f2.8, more expensive than the 2 other lenses combined, but it offers the flexibility of being able to adjust the focal length whilst still offering the opportunity to shoot in low light.

Anyone got any experience with any of the lenses mentioned or have any suggestions. Budget 350 ish.
    Thanks.
    Have you had a look at the Rockwell site?

Lots of in depth reviews and handy information.

KenRockwell.com: Photography, Cameras and Taking Better Pictures

I have indeed thanks
    The review of the lens kindly suggested by smolt was very promising. Thanks by the way smolt for your post.
    Sorely tempted to get one as they are reasonably priced for what seems a very good lens

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast