Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Flyline for pike

Flyline for pike fishing
    any idea's guy's cheer's

fs

I use Vision Ace shooting heads which I have spliced to running line backwards, thick section to the front. Old ones which does not have factory made loops are very cheap and casts huge flys when there is no need to long casts and landing with big splash is an advantage.
    Last edited by bender; 18-10-2010 at 10:44 PM.

9wt lines of weight forward, type from floating to fast sink
    EVERY CHANCE OF A FISH IF THEY ARE THEREHidden Content

Bender that is a novel approach!! I have found that I use a WF9 Cortland Ghost Tip (15ft tip version) line for the majority of both my pike and sea bass fishing. One thing I have found is that a 9 or 10wt is probably the best all round set up. I started off with an 8wt set up but soon found it was undergunned when trying to chuck the big flies you will need to trigger interest from anything but jacks. Turnover is a doddle on a 10wt, though you would not want to use it to fish dry flies to wild brownies in a flat calm.....it's not subtle in the slightest, but the pike don't shy away. Keep your leaders short and stout - 7 or 8ft with 12inches of wire as the tippet is ample. Minimum 20lb b/s. A full floater, ghost tip and a Di5 are all I carry. Good luck and strip hard.

Any suitable venues in the north east, all can think of is Bolam Lake

The line I use for big flies and poppers for bass in the sea is the Masterline Toothy Critter. It's designed with a taper to turn over bulky, not very aerodynamic flies and was originally a pike line. Don't know if they still make it, but at 20 quid it was a cracker!

If you've got money to spare then some of the american striper or bass-bug lines will do the job for pike, but they are much more expensive.

The 'Big Fly' range of lines from John Norris are as good as any branded bug taper WF that I've tried, and half the price. As with all of their own brand lines, they are tremendous value - I can highly recommend all of their spey lines, and twin colour trout lines.

Thanks for that guys, to be honest I've never fly fished for
    pike and I'll be giving it a go in my local river I know there's
    alot of pike in the river clyde so I'll try there first
    Ive got a 8# rod but i may buy a 9# or 10# if needed
    anway is there any fly patterns that work better than most
    or any good step by steps out there ?

Cheers fs

Hi.

The patterns most easy to cast usually consist of artifical material, e.g. Flashflys with weighted heads. A Pike muppet consisting of a long tail (e.g. Big Fly Fibre from Hedron) and a hackle of two large Marabou feathers combined with a brass cone will work as well. These patters can be casted with a common #8 line without a to long front taper properly.

If you are later on going to fish a species line class 9 or 10 like i do, you will be able to cast large Pike Rabbits and other fur streamers as well (icelandic sheep hair and so on), also larger poppers.

Regards,

Ingo
    Last edited by Polar-Magnus; 19-10-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Mend down your line and speed up your fly. Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Polar-Magnus View Post
    Hi.

The patterns most easy to cast usually consist of artifical material, e.g. Flashflys with weighted heads. A Pike muppet consisting of a long tail (e.g. Big Fly Fibre from Hedron) and a hackle of two large Marabou feathers combined with a brass cone will work as well. These patters can be casted with a common #8 line without a to long front taper properly.

If you are later on going to fish a species line class 9 or 10 like i do, you will be able to cast large Pike Rabbits and other fur streamers as well (icelandic sheep hair and so on), also larger poppers.

Regards,

Ingo
    Hi there thank's for the reply im really looking forward to
    having a go with the pike on the fly i know a couple of guy's gave up
    fishing for salmon because they enjoyed the pike so much
    im not saying i'll do the same but you never know.
    As for materials i bought some ep fiber's and epoxy, ive got plenty
    flash materials so although i could buy more i think ive got enough
    to get me started all i need is pattern's.

thank's again

fs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast