Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Default Farlows of London fly rods any good?

Hi anyone bought a Farlows of London own brand fly rod? I see a Saltwater series out at present, anyone know any specifcs about the makers balnks etc? Thanks

skyhook

I bought a Farlows saltwater 10wt rod only last week (as a present for a mate who is about to have a significant birthday).

Nicely built and a good looking rod for the money. Comes with a 5 year warranty. There is a sticker on the butt that says 'made in Korea'.

I have test cast it against my other (more expensive) saltwater rods and it seemed fine. Medium fast action, but stiff enough to cast into a wind etc etc.

The shop assistant (who happens to be a friend of mine) assured me that they are decent rods and made in the same factory as some other well known brands ! The advice was to either buy this rod or the cheapest Sage equivalent (Motive) - roughly 260 vs 460.

Had I wanted to spend more money (or not liked the Farlows) I would have looked for a lightly used rod that I already had personal experience of eg used Loomis or Atomsix.

Years ago Sportfish did a range of saltwater rods that were as soft as anything.......

Hope this helps.

Cool

Thanks for the the detailed reply squimp much appreciated