Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Suitable 8wt Switch line for 11. 5 ft Jaxon Monolith XT Switch

Hi All

I've just picked up a cheap 11.5 ft 8wt switch rod. I have been surfing the net for a suitable line to match, and it seems that the Lee Wulff Ambush is highly thought of. Just keen not to spend a fortune on lines in order to find the right one. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Snakeroll; 19-04-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Hi Snakeroll,

You should take a look at the Barrio lines. Highly rated and very good value. Mike Barrio will respond to your email enquiries himself and help you to find the right line for your rod.

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Good luck with your search and tight lines once the outfit is complete!

Quote Originally Posted by CrippledCaddis View Post
    Hi Snakeroll,

You should take a look at the Barrio lines. Highly rated and very good value. Mike Barrio will respond to your email enquiries himself and help you to find the right line for your rod.

https://www.flylineshop.com/barrio-switch.html

Good luck with your search and tight lines once the outfit is complete!
    Hi CrippledCaddis

Checked on the site and the 7/8 is out of stock. Sent Mike an email to see if there are other options available.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeroll View Post
    Hi All

I've just picked up a cheap 11.5 ft 8wt switch rod. I have been surfing the net for a suitable line to match, and it seems that the Lee Wulff Ambush is highly thought of. Just keen not to spend a fortune on lines in order to find the right one. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Airflo Rage compact lines are superb i use a 360gr on my switch 7/8,if your looking to get good to fair presentation then the rage is better than the ambush,if your new to 2handed casting then go for a heavier line sutch as the 390gr or 420gr head
    Last edited by dexterbuchanan1; 18-04-2017 at 06:47 PM.
    Id rather have something I don't need than need something I haven't got!!

Quote Originally Posted by dexterbuchanan1 View Post
    Airflo Rage compact lines are superb i use a 360gr on my switch 7/8,if your looking to get good to fair presentation then the rage is better than the ambush,if your new to 2handed casting then go for a heavier line sutch as the 390gr or 420gr head
    Hi dexterbuchanan1

Thanks for the tip. I'm a pretty experienced/competent speycaster so will probably wait till the rod arrives and see what I can pick up.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Snakeroll View Post
    Hi dexterbuchanan1

Thanks for the tip. I'm a pretty experienced/competent speycaster so will probably wait till the rod arrives and see what I can pick up.

Regards
    Another vote for the Barrio reasonable price too, check if your rod is salmon or trout line rated, I found it quite confusing
    at the start. I use an 8/9wt Barrio on a Sage One its perfect.
    I have an older 7/8wt (cream/orange)Barrio your welcome to try it.
    Last edited by Potbellied Pig; 18-04-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Don CurlyHorny Guest

Is the switch rod salmon or trout line rated?....whats its grain window........now make your line choice

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by Don CurlyHorny View Post
    Is the switch rod salmon or trout line rated?....whats its grain window........now make your line choice

DCH
    Good point if it's a double hander the odds are its Spey rated, if that's the case look no further than the ssvt it will cover all conditions within reason. Imo

Don CurlyHorny Guest

looking online, ive a hunch its trout line rated...some of the lines mentioned above will burst it......

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by Potbellied Pig View Post
    Another vote for the Barrio reasonable price too, check if your rod is salmon or trout line rated, I found it quite confusing
    at the start. I use an 8/9wt Barrio on a Sage One its perfect.
    I have an older 7/8wt (cream/orange)Barrio your welcome to try it.
    Hi Potbellied Pig

Many thanks for the kind offer I will probably take you up on it. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the permissions to upload a picture of it. Trying to get to grips with the forum.
    Last edited by Snakeroll; 19-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast