Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Default Gorilla UC-4 Fluorocarbon

Anybody using Gorilla UC-4 fluorocarbon for salmon fly fishing?
    Came across this fluorocarbon a while back and liked the fact that it has a lot of stretch relative to the more usual Saeguar; hence better knot strength, more flexible and less brittle etc.
    Apparently its popular with sea anglers?
    The adverts speak of high fluorocarbon content which suggests it's a mix of other monofilaments.
    It's made for Tubertini, Italy but the web site is not informative and I wonder then what's its reflective index and its density?
    It comes in a wide range of diameters and seem to be a lot cheaper than other fluorocarbons if that's what it is.
    I'm tempted to start using it for built tapered leader.
    Anyone using it?
    Thanks
    H

I use this stuff all the time and really like it. Very very thin indeed and when wet virtually invisible. I also like the fact that it is extremely flexible so offers enhanced fly mobility. The 0.30 stuff has a breaking strain of about 24lbs.
    I love my brick

Quote Originally Posted by Perrypokemon View Post
    I use this stuff all the time and really like it. Very very thin indeed and when wet virtually invisible. I also like the fact that it is extremely flexible so offers enhanced fly mobility. The 0.30 stuff has a breaking strain of about 24lbs.
    Thanks for that - I'm not alone then!
    I take your point about enhanced fly mobility.
    In the meantime I have emailed the UK distributers in the hope that they can confirm the specific gravity.
    I gather nylon mono has an SG of 1.05/1.10 whereas fluorocarbon is said to have an SG of 1.75/1.90.
    If I get a response I will post it here.
    H

Never did get a response from the Italian company for whom this fluorocarbon is made in Japan (despite my best Google Translation Italian!).
    A sea-fishing acquaintance tells me that the knots have to be watched as the fluorocarbon curls up like a pig's tail when heat is generated by the knotting process.
    He tells me too that the line is only a mix of fluorocarbon.
    The search continues.
    H

I would look at the trikene 100% fluro. Proving reliable and very cheap. Not thinnest but I find it good
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    I would look at the trikene 100% fluro. Proving reliable and very cheap. Not thinnest but I find it good
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk