Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Default Vass Tex 600 studded waist waders review

Due to ongoing knee problems I've been put off going river fishing due to the hassle of putting on waders (my normals are breatheables with seperate boots).

I decided to try waist waders with integrated boots. Fishers (Penicuik) recommended Vass Tex waders.

These are cheap 59 PVC waders so nothing to lose if they don't work out.

vass-tex-600-studded-waist-waders-8363-p-jpg

I had a 5 hour session fishing for salar today to try them out.

First impressions were that they felt a little heavy in the bag however if i weighed my breatheables along with wet wading boots there is probably not much difference.

A big benefit was that they were so easy to put on, literally a couple of minutes: no messing with laces or trying to find a convenient fence to rest my leg on or wriggling boots on and off.

They were very comfortable to walk in and offered good insulation when wading. Today I only wore thin walking trousers with wellie socks and never really felt the cold in the water. Normally I'd have padded walking trousers and sometimes even an additional pair of thermals. No need for that. They weren't even that hot when walking which is normally the trade off. Even if they were it would be easy to pop the studs for a few minutes (also very convenient for a nature break)

The boots have integrated tungsten studs which were excellent; in some really fast water where I usually dont wade deeper than my knees (just too dangerous), the grip was brilliant, certainly no worse than my normsl tungsten studded wading boots.

Overall these were very good and exceeded my expectations. Very comfortable as you can get away with lighter clothes underneath, excellent grip both on the bank and in the water, and very robust (the guy at Fishers told me he had sold literally hundreds of pairs and has never had a pair returned). And very cheap too.

These will definitely be my goto waders for all river fishing going forward (I still prefer my breathables for hill loch fishing), its a no brainer for me. And when I got back to the car It was lierally 5 minutes to get them off and get all tackle away, and no hassle of drying boots between outings etc

These bootfoot waist waders (also available as chesties) are going to make my fishing so much easier from now on.

10/10 for me.
    Last edited by AlanT; 18-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.

As a word of warning to those of you who are not exactly slim. I tried similar Vax waders but could not get my calf into the wellie bit as they were too narrow. I fit into a pair of size 9 Oceans without any bother. Moral of the story is try them out first before ordering online.

Good point Wee Eck. I did try them on in the shop and they're perfect for me. I wouldnt buy any waders without trying them on first

I had Vass rubber chest waders for about 3 seasons. This season however, I felt my toes getting damp and on closer inspection, the left boot around the big toe was 'dozed'. There were about 8 to 10 angled lines as if the material had persihed or something. As the boot flexed as I walked in the water, these lines would open up to let water in.

For the money and the wear I got out of them I am not complaining. It is just a pity as the rest of the waders are perfect.
    One of the best skills that an angler can ever develop is knowing the difference between passing the time and wasting it!