Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Rolling Luggage

Default Rolling Luggage

I'm fed up with being gouged by airlines for taking a second piece of luggage when fishing abroad. So I am moving to 6 piece rods and wanting to pack them in my main bag. That does though involve buying a new piece of luggage as my existing North Face bag isn't long enough. I reckon to put the rods in straight (rather than diagonally across the bag) the bag needs to be at least 87cm long on the inside. Has anyone already done the research on this and worked out which bag to buy?

Default Rolling Luggage

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I'm fed up with being gouged by airlines for taking a second piece of luggage when fishing abroad. So I am moving to 6 piece rods and wanting to pack them in my main bag. That does though involve buying a new piece of luggage as my existing North Face bag isn't long enough. I reckon to put the rods in straight (rather than diagonally across the bag) the bag needs to be at least 87cm long on the inside. Has anyone already done the research on this and worked out which bag to buy?
    Check out golf travel bags / cases they do the business.

When travelling to Norway I hire a golf club transit trunk from my local driving range. See pictures here. With KLM the charge is the same as a normal case. It has wheels on one end and a pull handle at the other; holds 3-4 full size rods, plus boots, waders and lots of other stuff.

I use one of these and it takes my 6 piece rods and 4 piece switch rods with ease. Its been to Canada twice and Sweden and Norway and is in two sections so you can put the fishing gear in the bottom compartment and your clothes in the top.

Snowbee XS Travel Bag | Uttings.co.uk

If your feeling flush then the Fishpond is probably the best but is heavier so if weight is important then go for the Snowbee.

Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    I did exactly the same as you and progressively replaced all my 4 piece rods by 6 piece rod.
    I went on the "Lowe Alpine wheelie 120" in which I can put my guideline 14'9 lxi 6 piece straight. It is roomy enough and can be easily loaded for a fishing week.
    It has secured zippers and a reinforced bottom.
    Great piece of kit and cheaper than many fishing specfic luggage.

I spent an age looking into bags for going to Russia.

None of the fly fishing brands stack up particularly well. Most only being 80cm long. They also cost around £100 to £150. Some have straps to attach rod tubes on the outside. Seems a bit dim to me, I can imagine the rods sliding or getting push out of those easily.

I realized my old smelly cricket kit bag was more the ticket. So I went off to a local cricket outlet and they had a wide range of bags that have proven idea for my travels. I have a Kookaburra bag. It has a full length lockable zip, wheels and a handle to pull it along with. Carry handles too. It has a ridged bottom and I can get a 4 peice 12" switch rod in easily. Plenty of room for kit, clothes etc. Made from very tough Codura Nylon. Some have a bat 'slip' or pocket which you could slide a 6 piece rod into easily.

They cost from about £20 to £xxx Mine was about £30. Its off on its 5th international trip in a couple of months and shows no signs of wear or tear as yet.

This is the supplier I use, lots of choices out there

Bags

img_2711-jpg

Many thanks for all your replies, that gives me something to think about.

Dryfly - a cricket bag hadn't occurred to me and yet there is a cricket kit shop half a mile away. I will go and see what they have. What do you do with your wading stick?

Re the staff. Just take a folding one.... or borrow one at the camp.

Another vote for a cricket bag.

Mine was £25 in the Sports Direct sale and has done 3 trips so far.

BUT make sure you buy the right size as they vary from 80 cm up.

Then find a piece of pipe and put all your rods in that. A 4" pipe takes 4x 4 piece single handers easily. 6" pipe takes about 7/8 rods.

I line the entire bag with thin (circa 1cm) sheets high density foam insulation. It weighs nothing and really protects the contents. I have also made a long foam sleeve to hold all my reels.

hope this helps.