Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Loading braid onto a Daiwa Exceler spinning reel.

I was going to load some braid onto my Daiwa Exceler spinning reel
    and was wondering if I can load it straight on or do I need to
    put a few wraps of mono on first or even a little electrical tape first ?
    Surely modern spools should be braid ready ? I know a lot of the Penn reels are.

What do others do ?

My abu orra has a braid ready spool and its got like a spiral of deep grooves in the spool to grip the braid.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

If your spool is grooved it is meant to be braid ready. I prefer to use a base layer of mono on all my spools. Just some sensor 12lb. Cheap and reliable. You'll never cast 100yrds of braid so why pay all the extra to load a spool with 200+yrds.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    If your spool is grooved it is meant to be braid ready. I prefer to use a base layer of mono on all my spools. Just some sensor 12lb. Cheap and reliable. You'll never cast 100yrds of braid so why pay all the extra to load a spool with 200+yrds.
    What knot do you use to join your mono to the braid piker ?

I use the double uni knot for connecting line to braid and I fill my spool up with mono first to grip the spool and like said above save on cost of braid that just sits in the reel.
    Elements of the past and future combining to make something not quite as good as either.