Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arachnids!!

Thought you were meant to be studying Liam!
    Tis hard to stay away from the vice when you've just gotten a load of new materials.
    Nice looking ties though- perfect for the summer!

Quote Originally Posted by An Griannach View Post
    Thought you were meant to be studying Liam!
    Tis hard to stay away from the vice when you've just gotten a load of new materials.
    Nice looking ties though- perfect for the summer!
    I had to give er a lash, cracking up looking at the future fly stuff floating around the fly tying section on here!

Default Arachnid Stoat

UTC white thread used in this one and I used a size small silver tungsten conehead so it would be fairly weighty. I'll give them a wee swim and observe how they get on.
    Silver Ice dub and Future fly black soft hackle.
    Last edited by (Smolt); 07-12-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Default Thunder Spey variant Arachnid

Ive never fished a thunder spey but I think its a beautiful colour combination.
    xs tubing, blue
    copper holo tinsel
    silver ice dub
    xs silver tungsten cone
    Blue grizzled FF soft hackle
    Orange dyed Guinea fowl
    Jungle cock (Its now officially finished, no more on the cape!)
    xs silver turbo disc.
    Last edited by (Smolt); 16-12-2012 at 11:36 AM.

Love it Smolt, do a duplicate and enter them in the TOM .
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

That is a serious tying lad!
    Brilliant photographs too.
    What camera is that again?

Lovely tying smolt.

Give us a side on shot so we can see the body please.

Nice tying Smolt. Hackles are soft and the disc will provide good turbulence.

My only worry is no support behind ? In fast water they will be stuck to the body/hook and in slow water they will be grand on the cast but swinging around when the pressure is side on those soft hackles what will happen ?

I honestly don't know how these would swim but hope they do not collapse. Maybe some stiff cock hackle or some stiff hair - bucktail or ideally polar bear would provide a skeleton of support.

Just thinking out loud to be honest, even the last fly - would blue guinea fowl with soft orange hackle or grizzle over not be stronger and more mobile with a stronger structure behind
    Last edited by kgm; 16-12-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    To one who has roved on the mountains afar
    Oh! For the crags that are wild and magestic
    The steep frowning glories of dark Lochnagar.

Quote Originally Posted by kgm View Post
    Nice tying Smolt. Hackles are soft and the disc will provide good turbulence.

My only worry is no support behind ? In fast water they will be stuck to the body/hook and in slow water they will be grand on the cast but swinging around when the pressure is side on those soft hackles what will happen ?

I honestly don't know how these would swim but hope they do not collapse. Maybe some stiff cock hackle or some stiff hair - bucktail or ideally polar bear would provide a skeleton of support.

Just thinking out loud to be honest
    Unless you were to fish em upstream northern spider style with a single hander , induced take style .
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Side on shot as requested. Im using a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ38, it a great point and shoot jobby, no manual focus which can be a pain at times but its very user friendly.
    I see what you are saying kgm and I think a fair few people will say the same.
    I tied up some small stuff last year like cascades and small shrimps and I actually spent alot of time observing and photographing them in the water.
    I honestly cannot see the benefit of a wing when going this small, It would be easy to tie in some form of something as a wing but I think if anything it is going to hinder the movement of the hackles and make the fly too stubborn and uniform.
    I cannot say for sure how they do on the swing but I have put them under the tap, which is alot of pressure and I have swam them in current and the hackles just flail out, if anything I would like them a bit tighter to the body, I tied some with the tungsten cones instead of the turbo disc and they still had a similar effect but less pronounced.
    I think the next photo will clear it up, I have quite a large dubbed area (thorax) and then the xs conehead slid up to it.
    I think it is the breaker that sets the hackles off, the disc at the front helps too.
    I will get some underwater footage going if I get a lend of a mates waterproof headcam.
    From what Ive seen of them so far they look the part in the water. But I suppose Mr salmo will let me know next season!
    They are actually great fun to tie and not too difficult, and you can be very creative with the patterns!

Last edited by (Smolt); 16-12-2012 at 01:54 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast