Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Banana Zonker

Default Banana Zonker

Itís been horsing it down for 2 days now. On the bright side; Iíve finally managed to dye some zonker almost the colour I wanted, without making the skin curl up*. I also Also bleached and dyed a patch of Ringneck Pheasant skin:

Hereís the resulting Banana Zonker:

b89b0ed9-dfcf-4831-be92-5017f6042472-jpeg

Hook: Guideline Tube Treble #10
    Swing Tube: DIY from Futurefly tubing
    Body: Med Gold Conehead with Copper & Gold Litebrite
    Body hackle: 2-3 turns Golden Olive
    Under wing: Yellow Fox with Gold litebright & yellow kyrstalflash
    Wing: Dyed Yellow / Olive Rabbit Zonker
    Cheeks: JC
    Head Hackle: Dyed Yellow / Olive Ringneck Pheasant breast feather

Pheasant Patch:

db4a5cd4-9a35-453d-ad0e-f37f63db7918-jpeg

Fly for a serious job, very nice.

Lovely looking fly GK - looks like mr rotenone isnt the only master of wings now 😀 .

What tips have you got for bleaching and redyeing. Pheasant rump I can imagine is hard to get light as itís a mix of brown and that blue/green shine on the tips ? Does it go nicely back to white/pale? Looking at your picture itís pretty light and obviously yellow ? Do I need to be digging out the missusí hair products? Iíve got a few things Iíd like to strip colour off and redye.

Cheers, Patrick

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post
    Itís been horsing it down for 2 days now. On the bright side; Iíve finally managed to dye some zonker almost the colour I wanted, without making the skin curl up*. I also Also bleached and dyed a patch of Ringneck Pheasant skin:

Hereís the resulting Banana Zonker:

b89b0ed9-dfcf-4831-be92-5017f6042472-jpeg

Hook: Guideline Tube Treble #10
    Swing Tube: DIY from Futurefly tubing
    Body: Med Gold Conehead with Copper & Gold Litebrite
    Body hackle: 2-3 turns Golden Olive
    Under wing: Yellow Fox with Gold litebright & yellow kyrstalflash
    Wing: Dyed Yellow / Olive Rabbit Zonker
    Cheeks: JC
    Head Hackle: Dyed Yellow / Olive Ringneck Pheasant breast feather

Pheasant Patch:

db4a5cd4-9a35-453d-ad0e-f37f63db7918-jpeg
    Perfect fly and nice dye job

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Lovely looking fly GK - looks like mr rotenone isnt the only master of wings now 😀 .

What tips have you got for bleaching and redyeing. Pheasant rump I can imagine is hard to get light as itís a mix of brown and that blue/green shine on the tips ? Does it go nicely back to white/pale? Looking at your picture itís pretty light and obviously yellow ? Do I need to be digging out the missusí hair products? Iíve got a few things Iíd like to strip colour off and redye.

Cheers, Patrick
    Cheers Dr P!

Iím not sure Iím anywhere near Rotenone. For starters, I think his flies have actually caught some fish

WRT Dying, I was going to do a SBS, but totally forgot.

1. Bleaching: I used ĎJerome Russell Blondeí. Just followed the instructions, washed the patch with fairy liquid. Then I dried it and spread the bleach solution over & into the feathers. I waited 60mins before rinsing off. The patch finished up a light straw colour, it wasnít uniform, but the natural barring was much reduced.

2. Dying. I used Jacquard Bright Yellow, Silver Grey and Olive in a ratio of 2:1:1/2. I used a 1/2 Tsp cooks measure for each unit. I Added 1/4 cup of white vinegar, heated to 60 degrees C and then added the feathers & Zonker. Ideally the dye works best at 80-90 degrees, but that temperature plays hell with Rabbit hide. To dye Rabbit strips I read that you need to keep it below 60, but I got to. 65 and my strips are ok.

The feathers took the dye in about 10 - 15 mins. The Zonker took ages, closer to 35.

I know Iím using olive instead of brown and probably not the right yellow for Banana.

Itís easy to over-do the Olive or the length of time required to get the colour you want. The mix I used can turn materials a sort of burnt orange if left too long - and I have the Zonker strips to prove it.

Enjoy!

Great description of your dying process. I intend getting the correct dyes soon but my fly tying spend has been colossal recently. For a quick banana hackle I was thinking of dying grey crow and wood pidgeon in veniards bright yellow with a tiny amount of veniards brown. Grey crow has a slight magenta tinge so might come out a decent banana from just yellow. I have dyed low grade grey grizzle hen and it came out an olive yellow.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks GK - I've got a couple of capes I'm not happy with - which I'd like to strip back and recolour - so I'll be giving it a shot.