Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by silver seeker View Post
    Read the comment Charlie, inspired by the Oyster catcher colours, black,white and orange
    Indeed, but the title of the thread is "Oyster Catcher Scandi", not "Oyster Catcher Inspired Scandi". I'm simply pointing out that in my view (and, I'm pretty certain, in the view of the inventor of the Oystercatcher, who I know and who has quite clear and precise views when it comes to his flies), this bears so little resemblance to the original Oystercatcher that it deserves a different name. There's so much more to a fly than a colour scheme - if not we come back to the idea that a Cascade is the same as a Willie Gunn, just because they're both black yellow and orange!

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    Indeed, but the title of the thread is "Oyster Catcher Scandi", not "Oyster Catcher Inspired Scandi". I'm simply pointing out that in my view (and, I'm pretty certain, in the view of the inventor of the Oystercatcher, who I know and who has quite clear and precise views when it comes to his flies), this bears so little resemblance to the original Oystercatcher that it deserves a different name. There's so much more to a fly than a colour scheme - if not we come back to the idea that a Cascade is the same as a Willie Gunn, just because they're both black yellow and orange!
    It's not supposed to resemble the same fly and being tied in a completely different style which is all about movement not colour blocks, I'm sure the inventor of the original pattern wouldn't be so outraged by me using the same colour scheme,but it's not the only pattern with these colours,ie junction shrimp,so I'd say he's copied other patterns colours to come up with his
    The early bird gets first run down the pool.

Stunning fly ,although it is certainly different than the original oyster catcher,saying that scandi style looks superb and will give plenty movement in the water

Quote Originally Posted by silver seeker View Post
    It's not supposed to resemble the same fly and being tied in a completely different style which is all about movement not colour blocks, I'm sure the inventor of the original pattern wouldn't be so outraged by me using the same colour scheme,but it's not the only pattern with these colours,ie junction shrimp,so I'd say he's copied other patterns colours to come up with his
    If it's not supposed to resemble the Oystercatcher, why would you call it an Oystercatcher scandi? Surely one could expect a scandi version of a fly to be recognisable as having derived from the original - to share its DNA, if you like?

I believe you're right that the Junction Shrimp influenced the inventor of the Oystercatcher, and of course he doesn't have a monopoly on that colour scheme. But in his (and I think most people's) eyes, the Oystercatcher is sufficiently far removed from the Junction Shrimp that it warrants being considered as a separate pattern. Not only is the profile different, but the balance of the colours is also quite different - there's far more black in a true Oystercatcher than in the JS, and the orange is little more than an accent to a predominantly black and white pattern. Similarly, though your fly may have been inspired by the Oystercatcher, in my view it's also different enough that it ought to be given a different name.

Quote Originally Posted by charlieH View Post
    If it's not supposed to resemble the Oystercatcher, why would you call it an Oystercatcher scandi? Surely one could expect a scandi version of a fly to be recognisable as having derived from the original - to share its DNA, if you like?

I believe you're right that the Junction Shrimp influenced the inventor of the Oystercatcher, and of course he doesn't have a monopoly on that colour scheme. But in his (and I think most people's) eyes, the Oystercatcher is sufficiently far removed from the Junction Shrimp that it warrants being considered as a separate pattern. Not only is the profile different, but the balance of the colours is also quite different - there's far more black in a true Oystercatcher than in the JS, and the orange is little more than an accent to a predominantly black and white pattern. Similarly, though your fly may have been inspired by the Oystercatcher, in my view it's also different enough that it ought to be given a different name.
    Pick you a name for it Charlie saying it bothers you so much

Perhaps you could call it after another wading bird - the Ruddy Turnstone? That would acknowledge a link to the Oystercatcher, while not suggesting that they're the same!

Although I wouldn't say that Turnstones are exactly orange, the Ruddy variety does have a lot of fairly bright chestnut plumage, along with black and white, so the quantity of soft orange you have used in the underwing, together with the flashy copper body and the orange dyed JC, would reflect that.

turnstone-jpg
    Last edited by charlieH; 21-01-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Naw think I'll stick to Oystercatcher scandi,sure it's not going to bother anyone but you,and that's ok with me👍

Thanks Tam👍

I'm sure this will make for an interesting conversation when I'm fishing with the inventor of the Oystercatcher in April and May!

I'm sure ally Gowan's is not at all upset with all the variants of his shrimp fly,or all the other flies that have been altered to a tiers own preference

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast