Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  44
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini Scandi

Default Mini Scandi

2 shameless attempts to scale down Rotenone’s Scandi creations:

Fox wing Sierra Korva variants tied with a cone body & soft grizzle Hackle.

3988563f-5809-4f24-8d47-530519e85f51-jpeg

Very loose Banana variants, with a Black Zonker wing and olive/ dirty yellow soft Hackle tied on cone head bodies.

135b51d8-110c-475d-ae97-1a5e7edf2381-jpeg

Nice GK , I would happily fish those.

Would these be considered good offerings during June and early July on your rivers from Northern Scotland and many points south from there?

I have many flies of this style that I use here for steelhead and rainbow trout but just may be fishing your rivers in 2020 so I'm asking

Thanks,

Ard

yes micro tubes, or small cones catch alot of fish.

weight of fly to height is the key, however from may onwards we cauught most of the fish on small cone heads. it depends on where you are fishing, or planning to fish in scotland, this year we had mostly high water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Would these be considered good offerings during June and early July on your rivers from Northern Scotland and many points south from there?

I have many flies of this style that I use here for steelhead and rainbow trout but just may be fishing your rivers in 2020 so I'm asking

Thanks,

Ard
    If I’m honest Ard, while I love tying them, these are a wee bit big for me unless the river is at a ‘good’ height, hence me trying to scale them down. Although I’m sure the soft Hackle will really slim down in the water and they won’t look so stumpy.

Depending on water height and temp, you’ll find folk fishing anything down to #14 (or lower in low water) and 1/4” or micro tubes.

As Speers says, speed is the key and I think they may do ok fished squarer and faster than I would normally do. I’ve also been tying on cone bodies to try and get a fly that can get into their faces quickly in tight lies.

So much if this game is confidence in what we are fishing. That usually means we go with our tried and trusted methods.

If I were faced with a river at, or a couple of inches above summer height to achieve the same effect and that ‘eel-like’ profile Rotenone talks of; I might start off with something long, but with less bulk. This the same length as the top fly above - 4cm.

3a5bcda4-a1fc-4f7a-beb8-603affd37be0-jpeg

The best thing is, any other 10 fishermen could give you 10 different responses😀😀

GK, I'm loving this style of flee a lot.I too am trying to downsize, but finding it a hard task indeed.Most of the flee's I use are 10 down to 16 on dressed hooks, but for a few seasons I've been using tubes from 1/2" down to 1/4" or even less.
    Not only is the size an issue, but the overall bulk to the dressing.I'm still trying to keep the movement inherrant in the dressing but keeping to an overall smaller dimension.Of course it helps no end having Sausages for fingers and being a **** flee tyer!
    Pedro.

Quote Originally Posted by Grassy_Knollington View Post

,3a5bcda4-a1fc-4f7a-beb8-603affd37be0-jpeg
    That I really , really , like.
    Perfect proportions and density of dressing. 👍
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Very Nice GK
    Ye Cannae help bein' a wee bit grumpy, No if ye was jist born crabbit

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    That I really , really , like.
    Perfect proportions and density of dressing. 👍
    And not a trace of Bronze Mallard:wow