Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TonyPrior Guest

Default Sea trout and sea lice

Google Translate

The above link, with video, discusses the recent finding, by Norwegian marine scientists, that sea trout are fleeing unseasonably into fresh water, apparently to rid themselves of sea lice infestations. Not good news, since they don't feed in fresh water, and are usually much-weakened by the said infestations before they enter the rivers.

bad news tony, they must taste rooten,i have wonders why salmon and seatrout don,t eat them?
    william

I hear rumours the Irish Fisheries minister is eager to increase the amount of

fish farming around the Irish Republic, by large factors/ amounts,

and one of the ideal locations is the west of Ireland around Galway ?...

apparently we are not, as an island nation, exploiting an obvious industry...
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyPrior View Post
    Google Translate

that sea trout are fleeing unseasonably into fresh water, apparently to rid themselves of sea lice infestations. Not good news, since they don't feed in fresh water
    I'm not having ago but I don't think that statement is not 100% true. I found that Finnock definitely feed, small sea trout tend to feed and only the larger ones don't feed much/at all.

Is it an increase in sea lice from fish farming activities>? (my computer won't open the link)

Further word of the Irish Governments determination to increase greatly the fish farming activity around Ireland and apparently the West coast is a favoured area.

We appear to be on a coarse of total destruction of natural coastal fishing .

Press Releases, Houses of the Oireachtas
    Grey Monkey
    ---------------
    So ! what part of the river has the "game" angler nominated as a sanctuary for all

fish?. The spawning streams/ rivers ? the headwaters ? the upper stretches ? the middle

stretches , the lowers stretches ? the tidal stretches ?.

This is whats proposed and needs to be stopped,The proposed Galway Bay organic salmon farm - Bord Iascaigh Mhara

Large sea trout are regularly caught in fresh water in Loch Wester Caithness, so I would say they do feed, but probably don't much because they tend to run at the end of the season when they are running to breed. After breeding in the autumn all trout slow down for the winter. As for fish returning to the river for clensing I would suggest this may be a natural function?

Quote Originally Posted by codyarrow View Post
    Large sea trout are regularly caught in fresh water in Loch Wester Caithness, so I would say they do feed, but probably don't much because they tend to run at the end of the season when they are running to breed. After breeding in the autumn all trout slow down for the winter. As for fish returning to the river for clensing I would suggest this may be a natural function?
    Born out of of sheer last-ditch desperation rather than a natural function, methinks. The sealice-loaded ones spotted in fresh water are likely to be those at the thin edge of the wider wedge of wild seatrout stocks which perish unseen at sea.

Bruce Sandison's column in FF&FT is always worth the read although I rather doubt if he'll ever get a gong for his loyal decades of vocal opposition to the fake salmon industry which everyone except the producers themselves and our Scottish Government knows has disgracefully wrecked wild salmon and seatrout stocks in NW Scotland. Brucie delivers broadsides in the latest July issue, to the SSPO and to SNH......you know, the quango whose oft-quoted slogan is "Working with Scotland's people to care for our natural heritage". Aye, right!

He also brings our attention to Marine Harvest's entry into the 'altruistic' Community Benefit Funding game already employed by the renewable energy companies, namely handing out substantial grants to local communities where major and numerous new fish farms are being proposed. In return for no favours, naturally. Aye, right yet again.

TonyPrior Guest

Quote Originally Posted by salar35 View Post
    Born out of of sheer last-ditch desperation rather than a natural function, methinks. The sealice-loaded ones spotted in fresh water are likely to be those at the thin edge of the wider wedge of wild seatrout stocks which perish unseen at sea.

Bruce Sandison's column in FF&FT is always worth the read although I rather doubt if he'll ever get a gong for his loyal decades of vocal opposition to the fake salmon industry which everyone except the producers themselves and our Scottish Government knows has disgracefully wrecked wild salmon and seatrout stocks in NW Scotland. Brucie delivers broadsides in the latest July issue, to the SSPO and to SNH......you know, the quango whose oft-quoted slogan is "Working with Scotland's people to care for our natural heritage". Aye, right!

He also brings our attention to Marine Harvest's entry into the 'altruistic' Community Benefit Funding game already employed by the renewable energy companies, namely handing out substantial grants to local communities where major and numerous new fish farms are being proposed. In return for no favours, naturally. Aye, right yet again.

Methinks so too. It's desperation, and it's too late for most pictured in that video. Their condition and weight is desperately poor.

As for the 'altruistic' side of things - sick joke. As Henry Kissinger said: "We don't have friends, we have interests."

looked at the glossy bim article and watched the video/propaganda

lol at 3.55 .....talk about name dropping .......

its going to take some campaign to stop these people imo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast