Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solway rivers

Default Solway rivers

I was talking to a fisherman today who said he had read an article in a fly fishing magazine about spanish fishing boats being seen around the Solway coast. He also said people on holiday had seen loads of Salmon for sale in Spain marked up as fresh Scotish salmon. Has anyone read anything about this or heard anything, not very good if it is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumbrian rivers View Post
    I was talking to a fisherman today who said he had read an article in a fly fishing magazine about spanish fishing boats being seen around the Solway coast. He also said people on holiday had seen loads of Salmon for sale in Spain marked up as fresh Scotish salmon. Has anyone read anything about this or heard anything, not very good if it is genuine.
    There's a reference to this in the August issue of Trout & Salmon.

I read it in ff&ft. Was up on the nith at the end of may for the seatrout and didnt touch a fish!! The locals said it was a very slow start to the season and perhaps the heavy rainfall then had given the fish the oppertunity to run high up the river........ had a session on a beat much further up and still nothing!?
    It was so bad we ended up abandoning the river and accomodation for the last 2 days, switching coasts and going onto the tweed.
    Where I did catch.
    Some of the girls at work are going to spain in a couple of weeks so I've asked them to keep an eye out.

Rod
    Last edited by roders; 16-07-2011 at 08:05 AM.

There are a lot of lorries carrying shelfish/fish from the H & I of Scotland to Spain on a daily basis. It would be a very naive person that thinks salmon seen for sale in Spain were caught by Spanish fishermen.