Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Petition to ban Supertrawlers from UK Waters

I think the below is self explanatory, Australia has already banned them from landing fish or refuelling in Aussie ports. Its time we did the same to protect our smolts as bycatch.

http://chng.it/NMfbzZFzQg

Please sign and share, with 10,500 signatures, this will now be going out to MPs , the ASF, BASS, fishing and local media for their support.

Cheers

Mark

Signed. The by catch from these ships is bad enough. Local waters for local ships and put a limit on them as well. From what one sees the netsmen at least those that used to net the rivers want to catch everything with no tomorrow.
    Bob.

Signed.

Signed

Parlevliet & Van der Plas, the Dutch fishing giant which owns the Margiris, says it has an “excellent reputation for sustainable fishing”. The catch from waters off Sussex and Dorset will go to supply markets in Africa and the Far East.
    Local fish stocks [in Africa] are run down by similar Dutch and Spanish boats fishing on EU deals. Such contracts are fixed with with (poor) host nations like Mauritania, as 'aid'. Chinese operators ( eg Hong Dong Fisheries of Fuzhou) have also cashed in with strip fishing programmes . They've just arranged to do the same in Guyana …. '' 2003 report FAO S. America: It is accepted that, of the shrimp resources, the prawn have been overexploited, while there is concern that the seabob (a smaller shrimp) and sharks are showing signs of overexploitation. ...So goodbye to Guyana's domestic fish and the 7,000 jobs it has supported.
    Industrial exploitation makes it likely the inhabitants of these low-income countries will have to rely on imports from places like Europe.
    Destruction of artisanal fisheries has led to a spiral of poverty and emigration from littoral W.Africa. All the while, such fish that can be caught locally is at risk of being churned out as fishmeal to produce farmed fish to put on the tables of richer nations.

There now, best to explain this good news!

Default Catching smouts -you can't be serious?

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    I think the below is self explanatory, Australia has already banned them from landing fish or refuelling in Aussie ports. Its time we did the same to protect our smolts as bycatch.

Please sign and share, with 10,500 signatures, this will now be going out to MPs , the ASF, BASS, fishing and local media for their support.

Cheers

Mark
    Is that right the boats catching young sea trout & salmon as a by catch? If they are that is the most ridiculous anti conservation tactic I've ever heard. It adds to the irrational catch of krill (cat food)that I'm surprised any of the north country salmon fisheries allow........ North Wales we never ever got a reply to any letter from the Fisheries when we complained that the fish were getting scarcer and scarser each and every season.
    In the eighties the BBC program when the Bailiffs were spoken to on the main tributary of the Spey, the A'n not enough was done to curb the antics of the Boats.
    This applied to the nets as well because Oglesby went down to rebuke the netsmen. It was a bad year that year. The thick headed bailiffs however made it their place to hound the rod fishers thereafter that program........ When it had been 'fly only' for many years what did I find outside the back door of one bailiffs house? A bucket of moss with plenty of worms in it!

I think the video systems the boats have now & the fact that the food of the fish is being reaped in will be the end of the fish because nothing can survive without food.

How on earth has this been allowed to happen? Money the killer has been allowed to thrive at the expense of everything else.

We used to catch a few mackerel to eat..... mark my words when I say that species is going the same way....... Is it the so called factory ships?
    Last edited by MicklemusH; 14-01-2020 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by meyre View Post
    Parlevliet & Van der Plas, the Dutch fishing giant which owns the Margiris, says it has an “excellent reputation for sustainable fishing”. The catch from waters off Sussex and Dorset will go to supply markets in Africa and the Far East.
    Local fish stocks [in Africa] are run down by similar Dutch and Spanish boats fishing on EU deals. Such contracts are fixed with with (poor) host nations like Mauritania, as 'aid'. Chinese operators ( eg Hong Dong Fisheries of Fuzhou) have also cashed in with strip fishing programmes . They've just arranged to do the same in Guyana …. '' 2003 report FAO S. America: It is accepted that, of the shrimp resources, the prawn have been overexploited, while there is concern that the seabob (a smaller shrimp) and sharks are showing signs of overexploitation. ...So goodbye to Guyana's domestic fish and the 7,000 jobs it has supported.
    Industrial exploitation makes it likely the inhabitants of these low-income countries will have to rely on imports from places like Europe.
    Destruction of artisanal fisheries has led to a spiral of poverty and emigration from littoral W.Africa. All the while, such fish that can be caught locally is at risk of being churned out as fishmeal to produce farmed fish to put on the tables of richer nations.

There now, best to explain this good news!
    That's an eye opener.......... Incredible. Humans have got to try to behave more than they have done since the flint axe and when hooks were made of bone ! Haven't the population of the earth realised yet that something is radically wrong with so called conservation. However I do feel a bit behind hand on the seal situation because although I found it difficult to find I see the 'rifles' are already out 2016.
    Much crying and hand wringing though from the anti shooting brigade........ the 'conservators' have been too far North at the moment but hopefully they are moving South into Spey Bay? Who knows perhaps down to the Farnes where I would predict a lot of trouble. Our local Deer shooter used to get loads of trouble from the Antis & I said why don't you do it when we are all in bed fast asleep....He did!
    Last edited by MicklemusH; 17-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post

Cheers

Mark
    Done
    "If I can shoot rabbits then I can shoot fascists"

MSP 1999- "If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Done.

Petition Signed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast