Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Default ARTIFISHAL from the states

Friend in Canada asked me to pass on.
    It's it's controversial , long and very thought provoking. Especially for those who believe in hatcheries.

Hope the link works.

Quote Originally Posted by KILDONAN View Post
    Friend in Canada asked me to pass on.
    It's it's controversial , long and very thought provoking. Especially for those who believe in hatcheries.

Hope the link works.

Started to watch it last night not sure what to make it so far.
    I believe in stocking especially the SNR project that happened several years ago.

Sewinfly............

a very sobering video
    thers wiser eating grass

Certainly offers a different view to stocking.

How they 'do it' with pacific salmon in america.......

Having watched it , you can see why people are against farming of wild salmon and then depositing the fry back into their native river.I was turned by the snagging! !!!!

If a reared salmon returns as a 2MSW fish do we assume that the fish has become wild and was able to survive after being reared in a pen? and that the fish was a success due to farming.

As the human race it is us that have caused the decline of the salmon .How we put it right is another issue .

If no fish return from the seas to the streams then no matter how many millions we spend on habitat improvement if there are no fish there = no breeding-no eggs-no fry etc.

It's such a big dilemma and I really think that all fisherman would love to see wild fish in numbers on the rivers.

Sewinfly. .......

Personally I wouldn't use the word 'farming' this is something that the film tries to do, to blur the difference between 'fish farms' and a 'hatchery'. I would say a hatchery fish that survives to come back to the river it was released into is pretty wild.