Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  21
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Super trawler

Looking at the map it is a wonder there are any fish left in the sea.
    Watching a program on the B.B.C. channel what Britain buys and sells each day. After watching the many tons of farmed salmon going to China and elsewhere there is no way that the farming is going to move to closed containment.
    Bob.

I agree with that goosander, the only way for us to stop producing farmed salmon around scottish waters, is for the likes of the China`s to do it themselves and squeeze us out of a market we all want to see stop. Maybe then we can get back to promoting this country for what is is famed for, wild salmon, tourism and leisure industry, whisky....

DCH

DCH
    You're correct the Chinese are onto this already.
    A Chinese entrepreneur from China's offshore oil and gas industry plans to build a CNY 1 billion ($143.9m) offshore farm in the Yellow Sea to farm Atlantic salmon.
    Wang Lingyu, who made his fortune selling subsea flexible pipes to Chinese state-owned oil and gas firms, intends to build eight semi-submersible offshore pens to produce 20,000 metric tons of Atlantic salmon annually.

They'll produce a trial 1600mt next year and depending upon funding will quickly aim to hit 20,000mt. Smolts will be raised in an extant RAS system run by Shandong Ocean Oriental Sci-Tech, China’s only commercial salmon farming company.

The aim is to produce smolt to sizes big enough so that it would take only 10 months in the offshore pens for salmon to reach harvest size.
    The main farm would be installed 50 km north of Weihai, Shandong province. At this location is 'shallow layer cold water mass' suitable for year-round farming, said Wang.
    The forecasted cost of producing salmon for local markets will be CNY 37 per kilogram, which is lower than the cost of imported Norwegian salmon farmed in traditional net pens (which is put at CNY 47.5/kg, airfreight and duties paid), and Norwegian salmon farmed offshore (CNY 52.7/kg).

So ladies and gents your pensions are to be improved by funding feed......preferably stuff which is not made up of everything else in the oceans!

I wish Wang Lingyu every success in his new venture.

Shares anyone?

DCH

Quote Originally Posted by meyre View Post
    DCH
    You're correct the Chinese are onto this already.
    A Chinese entrepreneur from China's offshore oil and gas industry plans to build a CNY 1 billion ($143.9m) offshore farm in the Yellow Sea to farm Atlantic salmon.
    Wang Lingyu, who made his fortune selling subsea flexible pipes to Chinese state-owned oil and gas firms, intends to build eight semi-submersible offshore pens to produce 20,000 metric tons of Atlantic salmon annually.

They'll produce a trial 1600mt next year and depending upon funding will quickly aim to hit 20,000mt. Smolts will be raised in an extant RAS system run by Shandong Ocean Oriental Sci-Tech, China’s only commercial salmon farming company.

The aim is to produce smolt to sizes big enough so that it would take only 10 months in the offshore pens for salmon to reach harvest size.
    The main farm would be installed 50 km north of Weihai, Shandong province. At this location is 'shallow layer cold water mass' suitable for year-round farming, said Wang.
    The forecasted cost of producing salmon for local markets will be CNY 37 per kilogram, which is lower than the cost of imported Norwegian salmon farmed in traditional net pens (which is put at CNY 47.5/kg, airfreight and duties paid), and Norwegian salmon farmed offshore (CNY 52.7/kg).

So ladies and gents your pensions are to be improved by funding feed......preferably stuff which is not made up of everything else in the oceans!
    The Chinese pig and chicken industries use a good portion of the world fishmeal production. Fishmeal fishing has been on a constant plateau for 25 years and is largely sustainable and well managed. The massive global expansion of fed aquaculture has come from continuing substitution. Salmonids still do best with some fishmeal, maintaining long chain fatty acid levels etc, but now FIFO rates are down to 0.65. Insect meal is becoming a big player as is algal O3. The key to sustainability is onshore RAS, which is coming fast.

Just a pity there's no U Boats still kicking about that would sort them oot

I didn't mean to delete my previous message, which I stand by! The long and the short of it was that this has nothing to do with the EU and the size of the ships doing the damage seems immaterial. Quotas will be in place after Brexit (If it happens) and trawling has bycatch. I advocate working with partners in and beyond the EU to produce more marine reserves where all fishing is banned. I don't see how else we can continue to exploit wild fish stocks in a sustainable manner.

That's good old Ted Heaths common fisheries policy for you, bless him.
    And you wonder why our Scottish fishing fleet are wanting to control our own waters like Norway and Iceland do.

Exactly.
    Last edited by keirross; 19-10-2019 at 01:16 AM.

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Quote Originally Posted by tom_o_m View Post
    I didn't mean to delete my previous message, which I stand by! The long and the short of it was that this has nothing to do with the EU and the size of the ships doing the damage seems immaterial. Quotas will be in place after Brexit (If it happens) and trawling has bycatch. I advocate working with partners in and beyond the EU to produce more marine reserves where all fishing is banned. I don't see how else we can continue to exploit wild fish stocks in a sustainable manner.
    This is a quite remarkable post IMHO. No idea what the deleted post was about, so let's just take the one above,

It is absolutely everything to do with the EU and CFP, because as folk said before, this is operating under EU CFP rules. In fact it exemplifies the madness of CFP: huge trawlers raping UK fishing waters that have been wrongly, possibly illegally, subsumed to the EU block's fishing Empire, with total impunity.

It's in Holland now unloading it's EU approved catch and subsidised under CFP... Bycatch now neatly processed to fish-meal or fuel for power stations no doubt... EU fisheries inspectors having a field day? I think not.

Your bit about working with partners is a moot point. The EU is overexploiting UK fishing grounds and the UK cannot do a blind thing about it. YET. Once these are returned to the UK, the UK can decide what quotas to set: could be same as the ones the EU currently sets for UK waters or could be less.

UK could chose whether to keep it's waters sustainably fished for it's domestic population (best) to sell rights to it's fishing (e.g. Ireland gets 30% of it's sea fish from UK waters, so there's a ready market post-Brexit) or, for those believing in global trade, just sell them all the processed fish - work for UK workers and even more revenues for the RoR…

Post-Brexit, ships such as this one can be banned! UK can manage fleets. UK voters can vote for parties that have sensible approach to fisheries.

Of course, that depends on our politicians not selling fisheries down the river either...

And of course it will perhaps never properly happen, as the EU will likely go to war if we say "So long and thanks for all the fish (back)"
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast