Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12

Default Is the worm starting to turn....

Another small step forward in the right direction, especially if we are starting to see a wobble from investors.

Climate crisis and antibiotic use could 'sink' fish farming industry report | Environment | The Guardian
    I'm not Fat........... I'm just easy to see!!!

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Would be nice if it did, but given that the massive increase in synchem/calpol/pills and endocrine disruptors and antibiotics in household and farmland usage, which all eventually ends up in the rivers screwing the wild fish as well, can we really blame the fish farmers for the mess

says a De'ils Counsel...
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by seeking View Post
    Would be nice if it did, but given that the massive increase in synchem/calpol/pills and endocrine disruptors and antibiotics in household and farmland usage, which all eventually ends up in the rivers screwing the wild fish as well, can we really blame the fish farmers for the mess

says a De'ils Counsel...
    I guess you're angling for a rise here Chris?

For once you won't get one from me.

I will say that all our farmers, be it at sea or on land are equally culpable.

Was chatting to the old man about my grandfather's approach to pest control on the old farm. It was only done when a pest or problem was noted as, back in the day, it was too expensive to do anything else.

These days, chemicals are used prophylactically and there in lies the problem. Overuse and run off.

On a slightly more positive note, I was fishing with your auld nemesis Salar 35 last Tuesday on a bit of our club water. It was a new bit for him but well known to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see a generous riparian strip next to the river. The first I've seen in all my years there. Perhaps some farmers are getting the message after all.
    ..........so many flies, so little time!

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

No baiting intended, honest. I believe what I wrote. Mind, to be fair I dislike aquaculture much more than I let on then

And I guess it's not the fault of farmers that they were handed a (literal) poison chalice and asked to produce this much food (am on record as saying that the EU CAP is one of the biggest crimes against the environment, but the Anti-Brexit faction appear to be deaf to logic at times) for cheap food for the masses (and export ) ASAP, just because Politicians are U/S and capitalist marketing is the bain of life...

It's good that some are getting the message and trying. Long term, there's only one outcome to play out, methinks.

Meanwhile Joe Public continues to ignore one of the biggest problems we face: where does all the waste go? Now farmers are forced to spread the "STW solids" on their ground, grand fertiliser of course (full of P, N and synchems and microplastics, great for the soil and our rivers!!!), up from 0.8Mt to 1.2Mt every year from the early noughties to the last report in 2012 (that's just EA areas but of course, England is more full of sh*t than Scotland)

Remember when John Selwyn Gummer got his kids to eat BSE-infected burgers on TV to prove they were safe? Would love to see the heads of Sepa, EA and Welsh Equivalent having to drink a pint of Thames/Wye/Forth water, Roseannah C can have a pint of Loch Fynes finest (thanks or the idea Scotsmac1 )

Maybe it needs a petition?
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Other belated signs are there. Farmers have to leave a 5 meter strip of ground clear from any water course free of slurry/dung and any other fertilizers. The estate I fish on before the last war had over a 100 employees producing food. Now there are 4 producing twice as much food. Think of what it would cost to buy food nowadays if things had not moved on.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by westie4566 View Post
    I guess you're angling for a rise here Chris?

For once you won't get one from me.

I will say that all our farmers, be it at sea or on land are equally culpable.

Was chatting to the old man about my grandfather's approach to pest control on the old farm. It was only done when a pest or problem was noted as, back in the day, it was too expensive to do anything else.

These days, chemicals are used prophylactically and there in lies the problem. Overuse and run off.

On a slightly more positive note, I was fishing with your auld nemesis Salar 35 last Tuesday on a bit of our club water. It was a new bit for him but well known to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see a generous riparian strip next to the river. The first I've seen in all my years there. Perhaps some farmers are getting the message after all.
    A lot of environmental schemes provide payments to farmers to fallow/not spray, fertilise etc strips next to watercourses.

I'm not Fat........... I'm just easy to see!!!