Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country)
    Posts
    3,341

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    You may well be right about 3, I didn't think it important when I wrote those words. I don't think it detracts from the main point about much higher value catch shares between fewer boats.

    Not widely reported or commented on but M. Barnier has insisted that we will only have access to the EU to export our fish so long as EU fleets continue to get access to UK waters.
    Also noted that it is the duty of every nation with a coastline to abide by international laws of the sea to protect shared fish stocks.
    So not only is the delay bad news for some, we will also need to allow access to foreign fishing fleets to maintain a tariff free export market and comply to international rules regarding stock preservation based, of course, on ICES estimates and on which the existing EU quota system are based.

    Mmmhh, sounds like status quo to me.
    Agreed, however, I think we can agree that the EU losing out on 650kt of fish from UK waters post Brexit is not small beer. The net gain (less the 90kt we fish from non-UK waters under CFP) to the UK from that quota is 560kt...

    Thereafter UK has 1.2+Mt of fish under quota (if it choses to excercise that) that it can sell anywhere it likes without having to ask the EU's permission. £1,200 Million pounds per year. Why didn't that get stuck on the side of a bus...

    In return the EU will cut off it's own nose.

    I must be missing something because I seem to think this is a rather large WIN of a bargaining chip for the UK that should not be given up meekly.

    Nor should UK fishing towns (present and historical) be sold down the river capitulating to the unsustainable mess that is CFP.

    IMHO and could be wrong.

    Fisheries experts????
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach


    Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

    Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Isle of Lewis
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Getting shot of the CFP is a huge opportunity for the UK to revive some of the fragile communities in the north and west of Scotland. Most of the large boats I see heading round the top of the island are Spanish. In short, **** off back to Spanish waters, Hose and Manuel.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    Getting shot of the CFP is a huge opportunity for the UK to revive some of the fragile communities in the north and west of Scotland. Most of the large boats I see heading round the top of the island are Spanish. In short, **** off back to Spanish waters, Hose and Manuel.
    Very interesting, nothing like hearing from a first hand eye witness. Are the skills still there to crew extra boats?

    There is some wrinkle about what counts as a British vessel which I must try and remind myself about.

  4. #24

    Default

    I would get too carried away, the Gov is only talking about repatriation of Coastal waters, i.e. out to a max of 12 miles. I'm not sure how much difference that will make. There has been no talk of repatriating our exclusive economic zone, i e 200 mile limit.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Isle of Lewis
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loxie View Post
    I would get too carried away, the Gov is only talking about repatriation of Coastal waters, i.e. out to a max of 12 miles. I'm not sure how much difference that will make. There has been no talk of repatriating our exclusive economic zone, i e 200 mile limit.
    The London Tories will not get away with that sell out. Davidson and the handful of Scottish Tories will make sure of that, and have already made that clear to May.
    I also seen a graph on Facebook yesterday that said the UK imported far more fish than it exported!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    The London Tories will not get away with that sell out. Davidson and the handful of Scottish Tories will make sure of that, and have already made that clear to May.
    I also seen a graph on Facebook yesterday that said the UK imported far more fish than it exported!
    It always amazes me that people in the rest of the country think London is a Tory city. It isn't. Where do people think Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott etc come from? To be exact 49 of 73 seats in London are held by Labour and a lot of the Tory ones are round the outskirts. They have 21 in total, less than half the Labour total.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Isle of Lewis
    Posts
    1,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Handel View Post
    It always amazes me that people in the rest of the country think London is a Tory city. It isn't. Where do people think Corbyn, McDonnell, Abbott etc come from? To be exact 49 of 73 seats in London are held by Labour and a lot of the Tory ones are round the outskirts. They have 21 in total, less than half the Labour total.
    They are the London *****

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    London
    Posts
    920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roag Fisher View Post
    They are the London *****
    And we have a Labour mayor who despite not being remotely up to the job is a shoo in for re-election because there is no opposition. Looking at the figures the Tories have much the same representation in London as they do in Scotland. Tory Scotland has a good ring to it wouldn't you say?

  9. #29

    Default Kpmssalmon

    Iím sure that the return of autonomy to the great British political classes will also see a return to massive subsidies to the fishing industries to bring it up to pre eu standard and flocks of young people returning to the sea not to mention the boost that farming will get from all this extra money and influx of young blood. How come we missed the big red busses with these facts on them and only some mention of something called the NHS , these are 2 of most important industries a nation can have in times of trouble but when it comes to these negotiations they are not as important as the service or banking interests as far your political classes are concerned. After all there are more votes in birdwatching then salmon fishing which is why you canít cull cormorants.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a cooling North Atlantic...
    Posts
    1,007

    Default Quotas with no figs

    It's very noticeable that both UK and Scots govs have persistently downplayed CFP exit. Notably, current Scottish administrations - across all parties - invoke a re-incorporation of established EU policies.

    So

    Real time market valuation of stocks - and there are ca. 30+ commercially viable species so not just cod, haddies, mack etc, - is via processing overseas. It's plain daft economics we shunt value-added abroad.

    You don't get cod from Biscay or red snappers from Viking, much. Instead, via CFP, we've been successively marketed towards incorporation within frameworks irrespective of first sourced ideal resources.
    Last edited by keirross; 31-03-2018 at 07:16 PM. Reason: a brad keyesniaism

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •