Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: New to Salmon

Default New to Salmon

Hey everybody! In a young bass fisherman getting into salmon since they're pretty common around me here in Michigan. I've went out a few times for them with spoons and the Chuck N' Duck float method and havent caught anything yet. I hope to learn a lot here from you experienced anglers! Thanks for having me!

Jacob.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the SFF

Sounds as if you've tried the more common methods for your Great Lakes fish without results. Now comes the chance to make a decision early on in your fishing journey. The decision will be whether you want to learn what few around you may know how to do which is to catch salmon on a real fly. Just because those people you see on the rivers carry 'fly rods & reels' doesn't mean they are fly fishermen. Do you tie your own flies? If not once you are solidly hooked that will be the next step.

Ard

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    Hi Jacob,

Welcome to the SFF

Sounds as if you've tried the more common methods for your Great Lakes fish without results. Now comes the chance to make a decision early on in your fishing journey. The decision will be whether you want to learn what few around you may know how to do which is to catch salmon on a real fly. Just because those people you see on the rivers carry 'fly rods & reels' doesn't mean they are fly fishermen. Do you tie your own flies? If not once you are solidly hooked that will be the next step.

Ard
    Thanks for the warm welcome! In fact I've never tried using flies. I used salmon eggs when I did the float method. My brother recently got a centerpin rod and reel for salmon and hes getting into flies though, also I dont tie my own flies although I was looking at a fly tieing station on sale at Bass Pro Shops. Any infos greatly appreciated. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk