Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Hello from New Zealand

Hello fellow salmon fishing addicted My name is Jason, and as the title and my handle suggests I'm from New Zealand. Been a fishing nut my whole life, and love chasing salmon, which here in NZ is Chinook/King salmon. Discover Spey/Skagit about 5years ago and became hooked! Especially love micro Skagit and the world of possibilities it opens up!!! Largest fish to date on Spey gear is a 6lb brown trout, though I have been schooled by some seriously big Kings (by NZ standards).

Hello. Do you have searun Brown's down there too? Is it mostly cts blanks or US rods down there?
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

You guys definitely need skagit in NZ for salmon! We don't use it for atlantics on our rivers as much though but it has its place. How is the salmon season shaping up this year?

Quote Originally Posted by NZkingchaser View Post
    Hello fellow salmon fishing addicted My name is Jason, and as the title and my handle suggests I'm from New Zealand. Been a fishing nut my whole life, and love chasing salmon, which here in NZ is Chinook/King salmon. Discover Spey/Skagit about 5years ago and became hooked! Especially love micro Skagit and the world of possibilities it opens up!!! Largest fish to date on Spey gear is a 6lb brown trout, though I have been schooled by some seriously big Kings (by NZ standards).
    Hi Jason and welcome to the forum,Was lucky enough to spend a month back in 2012 fishing the Southern Island and most of that was chasing chinook on the Rangitata. Unfortunately I dont think I had the correct gear, but I intend to go back and hook and land one of those powerhouse fishes. Seen a few caught and by god can they run.

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    Hello. Do you have searun Brown's down there too? Is it mostly cts blanks or US rods down there?
    Yes we definitely have sea run browns, though with low flows and warm rivers the last few years, runs have suffered and the last few years haven't been the best, fish average 3-4lb, but every year someone gets a good double in the 10-15lb range. Yeah most common brands here are Sage, Redington, Temple forks outfitters, Scott, And the odd Loop, or Hardy.

Quote Originally Posted by (Smolt) View Post
    You guys definitely need skagit in NZ for salmon! We don't use it for atlantics on our rivers as much though but it has its place. How is the salmon season shaping up this year?
    Its been a slow start this season, but most runs don't start to fire till now, but we have just had 3weeks of almost continuous floods so everyone is waiting for levels to drop and see what's there.

Welcome to the forum.

A good friend of mine fished NZ a lot last year.

He posted some incredible photos of monster browns and rainbows taken from (if memory serves me correct) the Canals? Or Canal?

As name suggests not very river like and more dead straight lengths of water like a canal?

Anyhow I digress. Some of the trout were immense!!!
    FISH ON!!! FISH OFF!!!!

Hi Jason.
    We’re abouts in New Zealand do you live??
    Is your surname Pullan by any chance?

Welcome