Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default new member from Keith, Moryshire

Hi guys, been sitting in the background reading lots of posts and saving plenty of salmon patterns ready to tie during the close season.
    now retired due to a back injury i have moved to Keith and joined the Huntly angling association. a vast amount of water on the Deveron, Isla and Bogie.
    a spate river which has suffered this year with not to much rain along with lack of knowledge of the water, in fact so much so i have been drawn into only fishing one pool and that is the sleepies near the top of the beat.
    really not long into salmon fishing and just picking up bits and pieces as to angle to cast, depth and size of fly along with lines and leaders.
    would love to master this fly fishing for salmon thing. can anyone shed any light on knowledge of the above beats and rivers. best places and pools to try on the Deveron, isla and bogie. theres an awefull lot of water there and an awefull lot of water i`m wasting. i`ll put this year down to just a learning curve but i want to launch myself full steam ahead next season.
    thouroughly fantastic site this guys. plenty reading, plenty info, and some beautiful pictures of the fkies
    regards and all the very best for the rest of the season to everyone
    Noddy (hate norman)
    Keith
    Aberdeenshire

Hi Noddy,

The Deveron sounds great, I'm in a similar situation to you, looking forward to trying to produce some salmon patterns (thank you Gary for your book). I'm going to focus just on tying 'cascades' and variations of this fly.
    I have fished the Taw, also a spate river, for 6 years purely for brown trout until the start of this season when I have had a few sessions targeting salmon (yet to catch one). I currently am using a 10' #7 single handed rod and intermediate line but hope next season to master a switch rod (although where I fish a single handed rod is fine).

I wish you a warm welcome to this Forum. I have already had some useful advice and help from the members.

Paul

Hi Noddy.
    Welcome to the forum. I am myself just about to retire and have just started fishing for salmon and sea trout which is something i have been wanting to do for years but never seems to get around to it. So there is no excuse now is there This forum is great. Lots of info and members willing to part with their years of experience to us young ones.

Mick

Hi noddy welcome to the forum & tight lines

Welcome Noddy.
    Tight Lines
    Aled
    Rhywle lawr yr afon/Somewhere down the river........

Hello and welcome to the forum Noddy.

Hi Noddy

Do bide in the Cuthil or up The Den?

DCH
    Once rated....now hated

Welcome to the forum, hope you find lots of info on the Deveron.

Welcome

If you have free time this week you may hit the jackpot, should be a few up your way with all the water there been, never fished Huntly association water but I'm sure some will have good info for you 👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast