Here's something I never put in my book....once you make a salmon lay (there are various types of lays you can make depending on water speed, depth, temperature, freshness of fish, river structure, etc) and being used by fish....put a small bright white piece of Marble or Shist or Chert or other bright stone that reflect light very well and is highly visible in the river directly under the fishes belly and flush with the bottom....if a fish is in the lay the white pin point of light from the bright white stone vanishes as the fish covers it....in a decently clear river you can tell if a fish is in the lay from 40 to 140 feet away....shhhhhhh...don't tell anyone...its a secret guiding tactic...

Here's another....ITS YOUR LAY....you made it....its yours...others do not have the right to catch fish from it without your leave (at least thats how I look at it)....so put a prickly stick in the lay when you aren't fishing it....and then remove it a day or two or three prior to fishing the lay and catch YOUR fish...

(moderator....see'ins how you stickied my last contribution at my request....figured I'd thank you and donate another).

If you like this one I can add another piece on the many types of lays one can build and how you can you use them to your advantage....like isolating a 30 pound fish from a school of smaller ones....shhhh...oopss I'm giving away too many secrets....or providing spots for salmon to rest in pools they never used before (and old one I actually stole as a child from a book about salmon fishing in the UK...so its only fair I quid pro quo).