Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tapered Leaders for Salmon Fishing

I have been considering trying out tapered leaders for salmon fishing (Fluorocarbon / Nylon). Just wondering does anyone have any experience of this and if so what do you think about the method ?

2. Default

Iíve fished them a bunch in Canada. I like them for later season conditions when the water is low and clear. You get nice turnover and presentation so long as you arenít throwing large flies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Spinoza Rod Company
    Bamboo Fly Rods and Fine Fishing Tackle

I use them in summer when the waters low and im fishing small flies. You get a nice light presentation with good turnover so the flies are fishing straight away.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I agree it is all to do with the size and weight of your fly. I normally start off with about 8' of 15lb Maxima in the spring and as the water warms up during the season I will add a 3' length of 10lb as a tippet as my flies get smaller.

Only started using them a few seasons ago, very handy in low clear water conditions, I also make my own tapered leader of a sort when using a dropper, using heavier nylon to the dropper and lighter to the tail fly, certainly helps turn over

I use them the whole time. Largely tapered nylon, tippet ring, fluoro tippet, but sometimes nylon nylon, fluoro fluoro and occasionally just tapered nylon no tippet. I would never willingly use a level leader now.

Tapered leaders are also great with sinking lines and tubes, they are very useful all season long, as said above great turnover and presentation. Just be aware that if you want to fish heavier tubes make sure that you use a suitable breaking strain. I use them up to 24lbs.

And in relation to Fluoro / Nylon tapered leaders do you find any major difference ?

I often keep ones that have became shorter with usage for spring or big fly fishing

Quote Originally Posted by colliedog01 View Post
    And in relation to Fluoro / Nylon tapered leaders do you find any major difference ?
    I never use fluro for salmon fishing, find it too brittle, tried many different types but lost confidence in it so back to nylon for me. it divides opinion though, others on here swear by it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast