Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Sinking method

Default Sinking method

A few years ago i red an article By I think Fred Evans, on a free fall sinking method off the floating line, i have searched the site and the internet but no avail.
    Ard or someone out there do you have the link. or can you give me info?
    If i remeber floating line, then say 10ft nylon .then a small bit of tungsten leader of varying lengths then a short tippet to the fly. where when cast the tungsten was short and had your mend time cast method to draw your fly down quick as it only had nylon.
    Thanks John
    Last edited by munro; 12-05-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by munro View Post
    A few years ago i red an article By I think Fred Evans, on a free fall sinking method off the floating line, i have searched the site and the internet but no avail.
    Ard or someone out there do you have the link. or can you give me info?
    If i remeber floating line, then say 10ft nylon .then a small bit of tungsten leader of varying lengths then a short tippet to the fly. where when cast the tungsten was short and had your mend time cast method to draw your fly down quick as it only had nylon.
    Thanks John
    I think itís this one you are looking for, by Ard

How I Get My Flies Down;

Sounds a similar method to what ive heard called "depth charging" on the deep bits on the main tyne. They use a full floater and a really heavy tube fly cast square with a mend so it sinks like a brick.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

AS far as i know small light fly. From your fly line say 10ft of mono then say 4" of tungsten followed by a short leader to your fly. The set up i think gets fly down quick without current working on thick tip.

AS far as i know small light fly. From your fly line say 10ft of mono then say 4" of tungsten followed by a short leader to your fly. The set up i think gets fly down quick without current working on thick tip.
    Drop shotting , MrT.

Drop shot rigs on fly gear | Hatch Magazine - Fly Fishing, etc.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Yorkshire (were there a god it'd be god's own country) & Afrique

Nice one, B., and another classic case of N American FOF Fly Fishing Snobbery.

Yer man says:

"A drop shot rig allows a fly fisherman to accomplish this with the maximum tactile awareness, and opens up previously unfishable holes usually commanded by snaggers and poorly behaved weekend warriors dredging egg sacks. "

And actually means "yes, my principles are out the window too, and I approve of ledgering with a fly rod".

I miss Mr. Oldfield's shooting heads fished off a fixed spool reel...

Whatever next, Leisters?????????

Last edited by seeking; 12-05-2019 at 06:20 PM.
    "...hooking mortality is higher than you'd expect: further evidence that as a numbers game, catch-and-release fishing isn't always as straightforward as it seems"
    John Gierach

Fed up of debating C&R - see Hidden Content

Unless otherwise stated, data used in any graph/figure/table are Crown copyright, used with the permission of MSS and/or EA and/or ICES. MSS / EA / ICES are not responsible for interpretation of these data by third parties

Quote Originally Posted by ibm59 View Post
    Done many years ago.even had lead washers from local factory engineering shop. What became sophisticated czech nymph, a heavy fly on dropper lol.
    Brian could go for the lead core shooting head but not the rudder and Rutland water. The Joe Humphries with 4/5 weight trout rod get yer nymphs wets and lures, or should i say baitfish streamer trundling along on the river bed,
    Brian thinking getting the Mitchell 300 and old 8ft Hardy jet out. Burn some holes in an india rubber ball, we didn.t have bouncing betties an ally and a wee stoat on the droppers
    Last edited by munro; 12-05-2019 at 08:46 PM.

Done many years ago.
    Moi aussi , J.
    Knocking on 50 years ago for me.
    Itís a very very effective method for fishing pocket water on wee streams.

Nothing new though.
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

Hi,

Sorry I missed this earlier but I did see you found the way to the thread.

I've went to using 60 pound Brekley mono for my butt sections now for better turn over. 25 years ago I used 25 pound Maxima and made it work but admit the heavier stuff seems better.

The longest mono butts I use are 8 foot and that is off a 15 foot rod. For most situations the 6 foot - 4 foot of mini head and 3 foot tippet catch fish for me.

I've always been one to tinker with technique for fishing. This particular experiment worked so well for me that I've used it exclusively since 1994.

If you would like to see a video presentation of the rigging and technique as well as my handsome face just search Streamer Fishing Techniques by Ard Stetts

BTW, I shaved the mustache after 42 years and the stubble as well at this time. I spend way too much time outdoors and thought everyone looked like that...