Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Default Fish on the Dead Drift Francis.

Throwing the net out here.Tried this method last year, quite a bit to tell, but its an emotive method very open to misuse and certainly its use subjective to misinterpretation.
    Before I lob my 2d worth out there, wonder if there's any one else who's tried the method and if they have any thing interesting to tell?.
    Why do I ask?,well on the back of the Fly TV video posted by Bushwhacker and Antti's comments during the film, found it very interesting!
    Any road, see what comes up eh!.
    Pedro.

I have never specifically fished the Francis on a dead drift but I have caught salmon on a Francis several times when casting slightly upstream to allow the fly to sink deeper over what I thought was the taking lie. The fly has been taken by a salmon before I have allowed the line to tighten and the fly to work normally. I have also caught fish on the same fly when stripping it back quickly to make another cast. I just think that the Francis red or black is a very good fly.

I dont fish a francis much but i do have a couple of pools i fish late season where i fish a dead drift along a far bank gulley by casting across with an upstream mend and lettin slack line out so the fly dead drifts along the gulley. Certainly gets results.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I cannot claim to have read lots from Mr AHE Woods but one thing I did read was his insistence on a fly moving with no drag from the fly line. Now some have commented that this means allowing it round on the swing in its own time. You could read it as a dead drift???
    The practice of down and across does nothing to aid people practising this method. I hope to land some fish this year and should I do so I expect a few to be from upstream cast and dead drift toward me, simply due to casting off the wrong arm/wrong wind direction/specific pools etc.
    "Out of every hundred men, ten shouldn’t be there, eighty are are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back." Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Piker20 View Post
    I cannot claim to have read lots from Mr AHE Woods but one thing I did read was his insistence on a fly moving with no drag from the fly line. Now some have commented that this means allowing it round on the swing in its own time. You could read it as a dead drift???
    The practice of down and across does nothing to aid people practising this method. I hope to land some fish this year and should I do so I expect a few to be from upstream cast and dead drift toward me, simply due to casting off the wrong arm/wrong wind direction/specific pools etc.
    There is a great deal of misunderstanding about Wood's greased line method. It's complicated to explain although primarily there is no dead drift, EXCEPT in some circumstances at the very start of fishing the cast round. Wood described catching fish occasionally on a dead drift fly in excerpts of his diary printed in Jock Scott's famous book "Greased Line Fishing"

I've caught a fair few fish dead drifting various flies. It's not a technique for beginners or for the ethically challenged so I won't go in to details but pattern seems of little importance, although a Frances is a very good pattern for all fishing.

I think I recall Wesdev using this method in Norway with some success.

Quote Originally Posted by MCXFisher View Post
    I think I recall Wesdev using this method in Norway with some success.
    Yes it works well and is well practiced, specially in the rivers of Finnmark! I have had some success on the Gaula by low water levels, mostly grilses, but a best of 23Ibs on Stadion a few years back, a beat you know well Michael! But the river which worked best for me using this method is the Hå river, south of Stavanger. No big fish, but a lot of fun!

Not a Francis , but I’ve hooked a fair few on a “ dead drifted “ PTN / GRHE when upstream nymphing for trout
    Landing them is another story 🙄
    Remember Thomas Muir of Huntershill

I tried the method a few times last year .Usually a floating head, tapered leader and anything from a 1/2" example to a 1' example depending on water temp and current strength.
    Tactic was to cast dead square and walk down a few feet as the flee sank, then allow it to come through on a slack a line as possible before things tightened up and the flee swung and lifted in the water.
    I caught the once using the flee like this and it was a positive take to say the least, just as the line tightened and the flee began to swing n lift.
    I'd one other day on a 1/2" flee where it just wasn't left alone in almost every pool I fished through like this, but every time the interest was during the dead drift and I could see the line stopping and at times feel a fish chewing on the flee(I've had this before with Francis flee's in general, in particular the hackle stalked long feeler type's),merely stopping it from running through the pool/run.
    Now this next bit seemed to be the norm, but if there were fish in the pool/run I'd feel them on the line without them taking the flee.
    Ethics did play a part in my thinking and if after trying I felt I was getting anything other than pukka takes it did cross my mind I was more likely to hook a fish any where other than the mouth then I'd sack the method and go back to other tactics.
    Now I'm sure the method could be productive, but I personally have reservations that there will be more fish hooked in places other than the mouth and thats something I don't want to be doing.
    Interestingly after watching the Vision TV video put up by Bushwhacker I got the general line of thinking from the presenter it was a method where one had to be comfortable with the ethics of using it in the first place,I do agree its not a first line approach and its a method I'd only employ when I'd fished conventional tactics initially or when I felt there wasn't likely to be any one else wanting to fish after me,I usually fished with a switch rod for control yet to maintain an ease of casting/presentation.
    I'll try it again but I'll be as quick to take it off as to put it on, hoping its because I wasn't getting my presentation just right.It is a fascinating way to fish!.
    Don't know what you all think?
    Pedro.