Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dapping flies

Default Dapping flies

I'd like to give dapping a go this year in Loch Lomond, but I'm having some difficulty finding someone that sells the bigger dappling flies.

There are plenty of places selling smaller sizes, but I'm after some big daddy long legs, size 2 and 4's.

Any suggestion ??

Quote Originally Posted by silvertoby View Post
    I'd like to give dapping a go this year in Loch Lomond, but I'm having some difficulty finding someone that sells the bigger dappling flies.

There are plenty of places selling smaller sizes, but I'm after some big daddy long legs, size 2 and 4's.

Any suggestion ??

Not sure of anyone producing such a thing list. However, contact Nick 'Armn'aleg' Armstead at Gamefish in Edinburgh (Google it and you'll get there). He has bespoke fly tiers who can make to order.

Regards

CLaG

The Endrick Bank - The bank that likes to say No

Default Loch Lomond

Have a look at www.lochlomondangling.com under hints,tips and articles.

There are a couple of excellent articles here on what is required for dapping on Loch Lomond.

All the best
    Lomond

Default ????????????????????

ARE they still in business?
    Not for long........ Tossers
    Who cares? They dont.................. they want your money only!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by SalmonNut; 07-02-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Talking

Hi there you will find the daddies are ok for dapping but definatly not the most effective. Basically your dapping fly has to be large enough with enough palmer to keep it up in the air and sit high on the water without drowning, and the daddy is not best suited for this.
    If you tie flies yourself try using low water singles size 2-8 with nothing but a hackle from head to tail concentrating around the centre of the hook, creating a slight taper up into the centre. The stiffer the hackle the better.Claret is a great colour for them.
    You can use anything up to 7 or 8 hackle feathers for one good dapping fly finish off with a very small red varnished head and your set.

If you don,t tie flies give me a p,m and I can tie you some up to try
    (I am in Stewarton)

Thumbs up Dapping flees

I still teach dapping to beginners, used to be the method in the days of Sea Trout on Loch Shiel. I regularly tie dapping flies for some of my old customers from my commercial days - get in touch and we'll see what can be done

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete

Dapping flies are still available and I keep a few along with Floss for those customers travelling westwards.

Frank