Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  32
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I am not a trout Fisherman, so not familiar with Oliver Kite.

But I have a brief look at one of his films (on youtube) and I like his style. Talks slowly but packed with information - as opposed to the current Countryfile, which involves lots of noise, but doesn't leave you much the wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    I am not a trout Fisherman, so not familiar with Oliver Kite.

But I have a brief look at one of his films (on youtube) and I like his style. Talks slowly but packed with information - as opposed to the current Countryfile, which involves lots of noise, but doesn't leave you much the wiser.

That was interesting seeing a hero of mine on film. Pity he didn't show his nymph technique.If you haven't read Oglesby's(a friend of Kite) Salmon Fishing book of which there are a few they are worth reading but I did not take in every mortal thing he wrote. As Oglesby said it would take several lifetimes to know all there is to know about salmon fly fishing...... I started with bait for course fish then exclusive fly for trout then spinning for sea trout then shrimp for salmon ( on the advice of the Welsh River Board Bailiff) who was a brilliant all rounder. I wished I'd have constructed more tubes at the start of the fly only rule on the Aven Spey trib roughly resembling a shrimp donkey's years ago but I did make a rubber thing that was what I called a shrawn... cross between a shrimp and a prawn. I caught fish on that lure which had a huge treble iron on it for more weight and bucktail for the whiskers. I caught fish on that when no one else caught a thing 30 fishers at one go! A police officer said well what have you got to smile about nobody's caught a thing... I've got two about 9lb a piece. (Phil to me)yes, up the kyber...... No Phil right in the mouth... he said what on then..... I put my hand in my pocket and then opened my palm and there was pandamonium! Is that legal he said --- well I said it has got bucktail on it so it is a lure and because it's plastic it's not a prawn nore is it a shrimp! It did definitely work when nowt else seemed to have an earthly.
    Thomas Clegg's little book Modern Tube Fly Making was my guide when I tied a little brass tube called Wooton Fitzpaine said for full water but since I was aware that sea trout and Salmon and any other predatory fish will take a completely bare hook the next season I standardised my squirrel tails to come out orange brown and black with one orange dye. I did hook a fish on that Clegg fly 2nd cast but after 15 minutes we could see it clearly shake the hook out of the wide open white mouth 6ft down. That pool is I'm told 12 ft deep!
    These lead tubes in different weights with often a 10 treb worked well but attracted some hassle. As said before, anything that sank on the Aven was deemed to be a foul hooking instrument.The first year the bailiff was fine but for some reason after that first year he was bar steward.
    It was no use explaining that a fast sink line with any lure on the end of it was better at foul hooking than my nylon line with the hook about two feet off the bottom.
    My Welsh pal said you are wasting your time trying to explain any technicalities =they just do not now.

For a very long time I've stuck roughly to the saying so long as the fly is medium to dark colour and behaves as a shrimp does that is the best a Salmon 'fly' fisher can do. And another snippet is to know where a fish might be lying and imagine where the lure is and then smartly pull that lure away so that the lure appears to be escaping from the fish. I feel Oglesby's statement an eyeball confrontation is the key. Salmon fishers should know the moment before the river is seen to rise can be the most deadliest of ALL taking times....... I said to my Welsh pal one time I think those fish would take a bloody wrist watch at some times so long as the watch is swimming right..

I should think that the top Spey fisher, John Ashley Cooper who said so long as the 'pattern' is dark and blends in with it's background is basically all that is required is absolutely correct.
    Falcus died just after he said he was experimenting with a lure that quickly swam away from the fish as if escaping.
    I have always been puzzled with Oglesby who told the population about Dr G Bain's bullets & knew that tube caught salmon when nothing else seemed to work did not expand on that short heavy tube which seems to be the nymph's brother... !
    Last edited by MicklemusH; 16-01-2020 at 10:04 AM.

ceec1f75-57e6-48f0-954d-2285a7ec50a6-jpeg I got this on the nith on a size 16 pheasant tail whilst fishing for grayling I was using a 10ft 4 weight 30ft of 30lb braid tied onto backing and a 4lb flurocarbon cast and yes it was great fun 😂😂😂I couldnít resist trying to land it

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH View Post
    ceec1f75-57e6-48f0-954d-2285a7ec50a6-jpeg I got this on the nith on a size 16 pheasant tail whilst fishing for grayling I was using a 10ft 4 weight 30ft of 30lb braid tied onto backing and a 4lb flurocarbon cast and yes it was great fun 😂😂😂I couldnít resist trying to land it
    And you managed to do it upside down Russell

??? Is the picture the wrong way up,itís okay on mine 👀

??? Is the picture the wrong way up,itís okay on mine 👀
    20200122_012258-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    20200122_012258-jpg
    🙈 Itís the right way up on mine 😂😂😂

🙈 Itís the right way up on mine 😂😂😂
    Are you looking at your phone the right way up

Quote Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
    Are you looking at your phone the right way up
    😂😂😂itís the right way up on my iPad and iPhone and upside down on my works android tablet so I suggest you boys upgrade your electronic devices to Apple 😜😜😜😂😂😂😁

Aww don't fuss now ...you were landing a fish and managing a hover drone - two skills beyond most on this site!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234