Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Extension tubes ?

Got a few more tube flies in the post the other day but they dont have the silicone tubes for the hook to sit. Now can i just buy some tube and stick it on the end or is it even needed ? Seen the americans tying them with a sugeons loop allmost snelled around the hook but it just dosent look quite right.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Rrrr.You don't exactly need extension tubes, but for the longer traditional style of tube I always use them.Right from the off,dont buy from Game fishing shops!,its too flaming expensive for what it is.Coarse fishing shops sell yards of the stuff-silicone tube for float rubbers- at a lot less cost, lots of colours from clear through black to nice fluro colours.Other thing is its available in a variety of widths too which suits the home fly maker who makes their own tubes(you should be able to get yards of the stuff in your line of work!).
    If you prefer the more robust clear flexible plastic tube, then brewers or model shops sell this by the great big coil, again-cheapo.
    As for using no tube at all as in a free swinging hook, well for smaller tubes I do that a lot myself, however its wise to use a piece of smaller diameter silicone tubing slipped over the knot and shank of the hook-just to protect it-there's plenty of stuff on here or the tinterweb in general about that.Best stuff is the silicone used on pole floats-again coarse fishing shops.
    You should be able to source lots of gear for the home fly tyer/tube maker from your garage business,copper/brass tubing, shrink tubing, various plastic pipe etc.,maybe you've not had the chance just yet or even thought about it!.Worth a little investigation me thinks,lol.
    Best of luck,Pedro.
    Last edited by Rennie; 13-03-2017 at 10:13 AM.

Actually i should have some silicone pole float stuff in my seatbox. Never thought of that. I was thinking a really small buffer bead if not using tube to protect the knot.

A quick look in the seatbox and things are looking a lot better. Not silicone as the pole float stuff is a bit small but some rig shrink tube is a perfect fit for now untill i get some silicone hose or silicone rig tubing. Cheers for that ill be alot more confident with the hook as im used to rather then wiggeling behind the fly.

Quote Originally Posted by noeyedeer View Post
    Seen those last night but couldnt decide which size to get. 2mm seemed about right but wasnt sure. If i was just using trebbles i probably wouldnt bother but i use doubles quite a bit these days so would rather they didnt twist and throw the fly off ballance.

Sorted. Called into go outdoors and got some lengths of mixed float rubbers. Alot of its too big but loads that fits. Also some nice black, red and flouro green and pink bits for added attraction.