Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Default Cold water tactics well explained

There's a good article on Paddy McDonnell's page about fishing the fly in cold water.
    The man's a genius and has connected me to some nice fish over the years.
    H

COLD WATER SALMON TACTICS | Fly Fishing In Ireland
    Last edited by Hibernicus; 22-02-2015 at 09:04 PM.

Basically as Hugh Falkus descrided it all in his salmon fishing book as well .

without wishing to be needlessly controversial, don't the salmon spend most of their adult lives as voracious (active) predators in the waters around Greenland?

Quote Originally Posted by compagnito View Post
    without wishing to be needlessly controversial, don't the salmon spend most of their adult lives as voracious (active) predators in the waters around Greenland?
    I'm told (as we all are ) that salmon will hesitate to enter the rivers until the rivers reach the same temperature as the sea (or about 10 degree centigrade I gather). But as Compagnito points out, surely the sea temperature around Greenland and other winter feeding grounds, must be colder than the Atlantic seas around Europe?
    Do the salmon tend to feed then at deeper levels and is the sea water less cold down deep?
    Or maybe it's to do with feeding and the energy or heat that produces to allow them predate in cold water, and in contrast, the lack of sufficient food and the atrophied stomach of the salmon, causing it to feel the cold, as it approaches our coasts?
    I wonder?
    H

I THINK generally they feed at 6 - 10 feet in depth