Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Loop Evotec DH rods

Guys
    I'm now the proud owner of a Loop Evotec 15 and I wonder has any member experience of this rod and how it should be lined?
    I have plenty of suitable shooting heads (the rod is rated 36-38 grams) but would like the option of short-belly or mid-belly spey lines?
    H

BTW I note that it's centre of gravity moves up the rod by about an 25mm by moving a loaded Marquis 2 to the uppermost reel position.

The rod has been returned to the retailer and I have received a full refund.
    This is a very powerful rod and either it needs a much heavier shooting head than declared or it needs a longer handle to facilitate longer belly spey lines etc.
    It is superbly finished in every way as one would expect with Loop and for the the right situation is in my view good value for the money. I loved the feel of the epoxy/cork mix handle and even the rectangular section handle is probably a good idea but it is simply not the rod for me. I expect it would respond well to a strong and physical caster on a big river.
    H

Stick with Henrik's stuff

Default Henrik

Which tackle make is Henrik putting his name to this week?

sorry Eminem
    just a private joke with a mate of mine
    When your time is truly up, the Grim Reaper comes to smile at you.
    And all you can do in all reality, is to just smile right back at him...............

Eminen,
    You are probably right - I'm learning the hard way.
    Have you tried his Zpey rods?
    H

H - Would love to give the design a try but really can't afford such weaponry at the moment

LG - no offence taken sir

Hi H

When I read your post and comment on shooting head weight for this rod I was surprised that the head suggestion was 36-38 grammes. I have the Opti powerspey 15' and this needs a head weight of 45 grammes or thereabouts. 36-38 grammes for the evotec sound too light in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernicus View Post
    The rod has been returned to the retailer and I have received a full refund.
    This is a very powerful rod and either it needs a much heavier shooting head than declared or it needs a longer handle to facilitate longer belly spey lines etc.
    It is superbly finished in every way as one would expect with Loop and for the the right situation is in my view good value for the money. I loved the feel of the epoxy/cork mix handle and even the rectangular section handle is probably a good idea but it is simply not the rod for me. I expect it would respond well to a strong and physical caster on a big river.
    H
    Last edited by Piscatoria; 07-07-2010 at 10:50 PM.
    zzzz Jag,jag,jag zzzz Jag,jag ping! Oh dear

Hi Piscatoria
    That's the conclusion I came to also (and should have said so in my posting) and as it happens another member of the forum, in a different off line context, made the same remark about the 15' Opti Power Spey that it needed 45g.
    Come to think of it, I don't think the Evotec is suited to mid or even short belly lines even if it had a longer handle (other than for a very expert caster).
    Somewhere I picked up the idea that the Evotec blank was the same as the Opti Power Spey but laid up for shooting heads whereas the Opti Power is supposed to be suitable for both shooting heads and short/mid belly spey lines - perhaps the 5 piece sections softens the blank sufficiently; and presumably it has a longer handle.
    I would like to have one rod for shooting heads and short/mid belly lines and perhaps I should have gone the Oti Power way but then the Century web-site tells us that a rod cannot do both (hence the double butt sections)?
    H

Default Evotec v Power Spey

Dear SIR Mr Hibernicus
    15' Power Spey is just what it says,
    casts best shooting heads or long belly/head Spey lines like carron etc

14' more allround than 15' but still a casting tool.

Evotec is more all round rod but again the 15' is quite fast to some people.
    that is 15' though-

note 14' is made in both Medium OR ALSO Fast action

we hoped to do same with 15'- 2 actions but sensible business practice (ie number of rods we have to have made) meant only the fast 15' made it to market sorry.

sounds like 14' Medium is better for what your needs are?
    but if you prefer 15' that is wrong length of course sorry.

will agree with Century, is hard to get rod that does it all well.
    Best we had that did is Opti 15' now discontinued though.

The Loop Team

... will agree with Century, is hard to get rod that does it all well.
    Best we had that did is Opti 15' now discontinued though.

The Loop Team[/QUOTE]

Why would you discontinue a rod that does it all if you have nothing to replace it?

Without diluting the point, why do manufactures do this with successful products !?? I am sure forum members can think of lots of examples.
    Nessman

"It's not about catching fish...it's how you catch them that matters"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast