Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: cutting a line

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    stirling
    Posts
    3,388

    Default cutting a line

    hi just a wee question, i got an airflow turbo head 8/9 but found it is too light so tried for a swap but no joy, so was thinking when i tested it it would not cast with the join outside the rings but seemed like it wanted to go better with the join a foot or so inside the rings.
    so my question is do i simply cut it back from the rear of the head and re join it to a point that i find casts well?
    sorry if this seems like a load of mumbo jumbo
    craig

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Before you get snippy fingers wormo,what sort of rod is it you're using,what length and line rating and also what have you get on the end in the way of leader arrangement and flee too?.Pedro.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    stirling
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Before you get snippy fingers wormo,what sort of rod is it you're using,what length and line rating and also what have you get on the end in the way of leader arrangement and flee too?.Pedro.
    hi pedro its on a 12ft #8 oracle xt tried it with 10ft poly leaders brown and green and it was a size 10 treble cascade that was on it, so nothing out of the ordinary there i think.
    craig.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    4,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wormo View Post
    hi just a wee question, i got an airflow turbo head 8/9 but found it is too light so tried for a swap but no joy, so was thinking when i tested it it would not cast with the join outside the rings but seemed like it wanted to go better with the join a foot or so inside the rings.
    Do you mean you found it too heavy?

    I have the same rod and really like the 8/9 AFS and Compact rage 540 grains with it, never tried the Turbo heads but I wouldn't have thought they load up any more than the AFS?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    Firstly wormo I would look to weigh the head,look for the weight in grams ,then look to measure the head length.If it feels too light,it should need to be further away from the tip ring and not back inside,that suggests it's too heavy!.
    I would look to determine what the rod will actually cast in terms of head length and weight,ask on here and at the local tackle shops,try and find those who own and cast the rod.
    Once you get some feedback simply copy in terms of head weight.Try sending Shakespear an e-mail,they should have a good idea of what works on their gear.Don't cut until you're positive you're on the right track.Pedro.
    p.s.,I understand there is quite a variation in the weights of the Turbo heads as they are actually sold as seconds of a sort.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Gods County
    Posts
    4,510

    Default

    If as Strathglass suggests and I don't doubt him that the AFS 8/9 works on the rod you're looking at 34g to get a good result,maybe a little less say 31g as per any Guideline R.T.G head(its all down to the weight distribution of the two heads-they will both cast ok).Pedro.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    stirling
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Strathglass View Post
    Do you mean you found it too heavy?

    I have the same rod and really like the 8/9 AFS and Compact rage 540 grains with it, never tried the Turbo heads but I wouldn't have thought they load up any more than the AFS?
    no i think it's too light, was unsure about the turbo heads as there seems to b little data on them. the point is it does not seem load the rod at all until i shorten the head length out the tip.
    i have the airflo quick spey on the rod in the 9/10 rating and its great

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    up to ma tits in water on the ayr
    Posts
    3,563

    Default

    Are you using kiss and go casts and sustained anchor casts with the same results,if it casts well with some of the head inside the top ring it should be fine with the whole head out ,just adjust the casting stroke to suite the lines length,what weight and length is the turbo head iv never used them,I cut my heads to 36ft@ 31=34g+couple grams for the poly for my 12ft Shakespeare rod(expedition)made a couple for a mate with the same rod as yours and he loves them!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    stirling
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    head is 40ft and weighs 35.5gram, if that helps.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    stirling
    Posts
    3,388

    Default

    sorry measured it again its 35.5g and 43 feet in length

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •