Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  13
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Airflo rage

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Hence the thinking behind longer leaders to calm the line down!.A longer leader(albeit poly. or tapered leader) will give an effective anchor to hold the line in its d/v loop formation, bear in mind the common casting fault is to give the Rage lines in general too much in the way of beans when casting just because they are a powerful line that appears to be heavy and has a rear weight bias.Once moving they have a lot of momentum!, slow them down on the loading stroke, let the loop form against it's effective anchor properly and apply a steady non too forceful up wards forward stroke, generate that forward momentum gently and steadily!, then you'll get the full benefit of a Rage line!.
    Pedro.
    The other thing I find useful when using longer rods with short heads is to extend the amount of running line out side of the tip when casting. It works for me anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
    Dr.PatrickT, Ive the 13ft LPXe and use the 510 and 540 Rage heads on it and they flamin well fly!.Now I also use the 510 on my 8 weight Sage One switch, again it flies out.Just a query on the 580 your throwing on your 8/9 LPXe switch, you say it feels a bit heavy?,Id think it is a bit!, but what do I know if it suits you ok.
    Ive found LPXes to be at the 8 side of the 8/9 rating.
    Cheers,Pedro.

Hi Pedro - I was a bit lazy that's why I ended up buying the kit - in hindsight I should have gone a bit lighter but wasn't sure about the tips. On the 11ft LPXe switch the 580 definitely feels like it's heavy - but - it doesn't feel like the rod is in danger territory to chuck it.

I'm interested to give the 580 RAGE line a shot on a longer rod to help the lift off (8 wt Hardy Uniqua 13ft - or a 9/10 14 ft LPXe) - if the 580 is heavy on the LPXe switch - it might be similarly so on the Uniqua but perhaps OK on the 9/10 - Any thoughts?

I've actually just bought a 660 RAGE head for one of my 10/11 15 footers (might dig out the Mackenzie broom or the SAGE TCR first before sticking it on the LPXe or even the FRS - just in case that's heavy). What do you reckon Pedro - given I know you have a penchant for the Guideline rods as well??

Finally - I couldn't help myself and found a 10/11 720 g Airflo FIST as well. Have I gone to heavy on that if I was thinking 15ft 10/11 LPXe? If so, I might stick it on the 15ft Mackenzie because those rods are powerful beasts (44g heads in old MacKenzie money)

Anyway - any comments (from all) welcome - to work out best combination rod for which rod (so that's 580 grain RAGE, 660 grain RAGE and 720 FIST).

All the best, Patrick

I use the 600gr fist on my 15fters,have had 18ft T18 and T20 tips for big heavy water in Sweden. I think the 720g would be for the 17ft #11/12 Guideline Lpxe.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickT View Post
    Hi Pedro - I was a bit lazy that's why I ended up buying the kit - in hindsight I should have gone a bit lighter but wasn't sure about the tips. On the 11ft LPXe switch the 580 definitely feels like it's heavy - but - it doesn't feel like the rod is in danger territory to chuck it.

I'm interested to give the 580 RAGE line a shot on a longer rod to help the lift off (8 wt Hardy Uniqua 13ft - or a 9/10 14 ft LPXe) - if the 580 is heavy on the LPXe switch - it might be similarly so on the Uniqua but perhaps OK on the 9/10 - Any thoughts?

I've actually just bought a 660 RAGE head for one of my 10/11 15 footers (might dig out the Mackenzie broom or the SAGE TCR first before sticking it on the LPXe or even the FRS - just in case that's heavy). What do you reckon Pedro - given I know you have a penchant for the Guideline rods as well??

Finally - I couldn't help myself and found a 10/11 720 g Airflo FIST as well. Have I gone to heavy on that if I was thinking 15ft 10/11 LPXe? If so, I might stick it on the 15ft Mackenzie because those rods are powerful beasts (44g heads in old MacKenzie money)

Anyway - any comments (from all) welcome - to work out best combination rod for which rod (so that's 580 grain RAGE, 660 grain RAGE and 720 FIST).

All the best, Patrick
    Dont know about the Uniqua but I use a 510gr Rage on a 13 #8 Swift and a 570gr on a 14 #9/10 B&W Powerlite. Do the line weights quoted for the kits include the tips?

Quote Originally Posted by NEbody View Post
    Dont know about the Uniqua but I use a 510gr Rage on a 13 #8 Swift and a 570gr on a 14 #9/10 B&W Powerlite. Do the line weights quoted for the kits include the tips?
    This is part of my frustration - as far as I can tell, for the 8/9 rated kit the shooting rage head is 32 g and the tips are 7 g I think??? Which for me - for total weight in grams - puts it toward what Id expect for a 10 weight rod (eg I think lpxe scandi lines are 41 grams). So I understand why its heavy on a short switch rated 8.....

I cant claim to be an expert on the rage but I have used skagit a lot. I like a 12.5 to 14 ft rod for skagit in 8 or 9 wt. I find a 540 to 600 about right on an 8 wt depending on the model and a 660 about right on a 9wt 14ft rod. A 720 is also fine in my experience on a 15ft 10/11 rod. The type of casting such as snap t, Perry poke and double Spey handle skagit lines and whatever tip you want, certainly in my experience. That said it does depend on the rod and caster preference

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345